Learning That SOMETHING ALWAYS Comes Up

ChristopherC

TVWBB Super Fan
So, doing a beef back ribs cook today and of course I open up to look (luckily this time) and notice black flakes on some of my ribs...

Of course the lid is peeling the creosete/smoke buildup around the vent and flaking and falling on the food.

Here is an example:

So, had to remove the lid, wipe the ribs and do a quick scrape and wash of the lid. Luckily I had all the proper tools on hand (scraper, rough dish cloth, rags, paper towel) and got it done ASAP. Then sprayed the inside of the lid lightly with PAM cooking spray and moved on. Things should be good to go now.

But I have quickly learned after several cooks with my WSM now that SOMETHING ALWAYS comes up. So be prepared for the unexpected!

Last edited:
That's a good idea to always check your lid before proceeding. I always grab the handle, lift it, and tap the side a few times with my fist.
If I see any flakes I turn it over and hit it with a grill brush.
I don't normally use water, so my lid looks like a well seasoned cast iron pan.
But when using the water or large amounts of meat that contain moisture I get that occasionally.

Show me some pics, pre cut beef ribs n Mac

Wrong thread Darryl....this one is just about the issue I ran into. The other link was today's cook...

That's a good idea to always check your lid before proceeding. I always grab the handle, lift it, and tap the side a few times with my fist.
If I see any flakes I turn it over and hit it with a grill brush.
I don't normally use water, so my lid looks like a well seasoned cast iron pan.
But when using the water or large amounts of meat that contain moisture I get that occasionally.
Tim I completely agree, I had I simular experience to Chris on some pork ribs and cleaned the lid out real good and now I check more often then I probably need to.

I follow one of Chris’ suggestions. Once cook is done, I clean out the ashes then, using a stiff brush, I scrub the inside of the WSM. This includes the lid. Never have had problems with flaking. Do the same on my performer.

Back