Leaf Filter gutter covers!

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Wow, I called them Tuesday, set up an appointment with the rep for Wednesday at 11:00 closed the deal by 11:30 installers were here about 12:30! Done and gone by three. Then that night big wind and rain came through.
Glad to never need to climb up the ladder to clean walnut scuzz out of a gutter again!

Cool! I did my own when I did my roof 20 yrs ago after I had new 6" gutters installed.
I bought from HD and it's about time for a replacement.

Cool! I did my own when I did my roof 20 yrs ago after I had new 6" gutters installed.
I bought from HD and it's about time for a replacement.
Timothy, if you have them done, by leaf filter let me know and I’ll give you a number, they will send me $50 for any referrals! It would buy some steaks. Well, one good one.

Timothy, if you have them done, by leaf filter let me know and I’ll give you a number, they will send me $50 for any referrals! It would buy some steaks. Well, one good one.
I'll see what my Contractor offers. We had some wind/hail damage to the roof, gutters, fascia and siding from that derecho storm last summer.

I made the mistake of having that company come to my home for an estimate. Talk about high pressure. The rep truly pissed me off so badly and would not leave my house I gave him an ultimatum. "You're outta my house in 2 minutes or 911 is my next call" then the guy had the gall to ask me to use my phone so he could call his "boss" and tell him how I did not feel my house was worth protecting with Leaf Filter.
It looked like a decent product but the guy started out telling me it would cost me $20k to do the job. When I almost fell outta my chair he said if I sign today $15k. By the time I nearly had to carry out calling the police to remove him from my house, he was down to $7k!
When I had the roof torn off and redone 3 years ago my buddy and I put these on the house https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...379-c-5812.htm?tid=5383016861890888532&ipos=7
Cost? our time and after the rebate about $15

I should add that those devices we put on my house work quite well EXCEPT for if there is a maple tree (especially the soft maple). Those damn helicopters get stuck in the holes. So thankfully the guy across the street from me does mowing and gutter cleaning so I just hire him to clean them off. The helicopters are the only things that are an issue.
But in heavy rains a lot of water just runs over the top not into the troughs. So, the jury is out on this type of gutter protection for me

I made the mistake of having that company come to my home for an estimate. Talk about high pressure. The rep truly pissed me off so badly and would not leave my house I gave him an ultimatum.
You mean after 5 minutes with you he wasn't racing to get out of there on his own??? ;)

I wonder if Leaf Filter is one of those companies that hires independent contractors for commission-based sales and installations. A few years ago at a home products show I filled out a card for a gutter guard company and they started pestering me with phone calls, even though I made it pretty clear that I would be happy to call them when I was ready for an estimate.

When the roof was redone 18 years ago we had plastic mesh gutter covers installed, and while they work good for larger stuff a lot of junk still makes it into the gutters. I've removed most of them and climb the ladder a couple of times a year to scoop the gutters by hand, and while it's not exactly a fun job it's not nearly as horrible, hazardous and terrifying as the TV commercials make it out to be.;)

I told the guy I didn’t want the whole dog and pony show, I had looked at several other products and given the trees I have, this was better, the fine mesh will block everything.
I’ve been in direct sales before so, I know how the process works, I did the leg work and there wasn’t much in “selling” to me.
The rep is commissioned so, I cut into his cut fairly deeply. I only had 77’ of material to install and it would be a very quick project. Full price for the project was almost $3,000.00 I ended up cutting a check for just a little over $1,600.00.
Larry, I’m sorry to hear about your experience but, I’m not a confrontational guy for the most part and, I’ve been in the salesman’s shoes. It’s a tough job, you get your tail handed to you a lot so, I’m reasonable with most of them. I don’t use any of them very often. There have been a few that were awful. And I have had them pack up and get out!
I put some of that stuff on before Larry but, the whippets from a walnut tree just end up standing up and it was a mess. So, you go to your church and I’ll go to mine as the saying goes.

Yeah not knocking the product. I honestly wish I could afford it. As for sales reps believe me after spending 14 years as one of the most successful Realtors in our area (yes I totally crashed and burned and could not take it anymore and walked away), I understand the pressure on a sales rep. But in my defense. When he comes at me with over $20k (on a single level ranch) and I am expecting a high price but not knock me off the chair price and I say POLITELY "I am sorry but this is way out of our league" and then the nastiness and pressure comes on with price drop after price drop and then tells his "boss" that I didn't buy because I did not care enough about my house to want a top quality product, I am done being polite and being nice. You're gonna get your a$$ handed to you. He pulled the same crap on my neighbor. He walks over there telling them I bought from him and recommended that he talk to them as well! They sicked their large dog on him.
Had he been polite when I told him we just can't afford that it would not have been a confrontational issue.
My other gripe with the whole thing was he came to us because we stopped at a home show booth and inquired about the product. I likes what I saw. I asked "how much per foot?" They indicated the variance of gutter designs, type of home, pitch of roof and so on and could they send me a rep.
Point is Tim, not criticizing your choice of product. I think it's a great product. Just relating the experience I had with the company (or someone representing the company) is all.
I just have a real distaste for someone trying to feed me a line of crap is all

Fully appreciate the feeling, I’ve had that same jerk (or his twin) and needed to eject them as quickly as possible.
There was a guy that was touted as being one of the greatest Electrolux salesmen in the country who worked out of the same office, I never saw him work but, he was found with an axe right between the eyes. Lots of speculation on that but, since he was in his own brand new house, I suspect it had nothing to do with his technique. One may wonder if he was selling some interesting “unauthorized products” as add on sales?

Most leaf guard systems work great for keeping the large debris from clogging your gutters, but there is still times when you have to get up there and clean the seed pods, needles etc. from clogging the mesh.
They might sell it as " maintenance free " but that is misleading .
And I'm also not knocking the product.

At least the guards I bought at Menards have cut my need of cleaning down to once a year from 4 or 5 times minimum per year

Weirdly enough I just saw a commercial for this on TV, never heard of them until today.

One thing I liked about the stuff is they are made about a half an hour north of me in Plainwell!
Larry, how long ago did the yo-yo come to beat up on you?

When we bought our house 11 years ago, the standard sized gutters were all filled with open cell plastic foam inserts. These things were nothing but planters. We had the gutters replaced with over-sized seamless (rolled on-site,) gutters with a helmet style guard. For conditions here, they work VERY well, wouldn't think of using anything else.

One thing I liked about the stuff is they are made about a half an hour north of me in Plainwell!
Larry, how long ago did the yo-yo come to beat up on you?
It was just before my neighbor threw his wife out so maybe 12 years or so. We had this experience with 2 different chumps btw. The Leaf Filter guy and a window guy a few years earlier. Same MO on both of them. Unbelievable

The company only started in 2005 so at that point they were probably beating folks up pretty badly, some sales reps are simply the hard pushing jerks that end up being so snotty they need killin’! I worked with a couple that I would have superglued into their cars if I had to work with them!

Back