Latest gadget - Beer Can Chicken Pan

Mark B

TVWBB Pro
Today is our wedding anniversary, and our kids found what they thought was the perfect present for my wife and I. A cast iron beer can chicken pan !:D

41329345172_f676cef93c_z.jpg
[/URL]Cast iron chicken roaster on Flickr[/IMG]

Well it certainly seems perfect for one of us ! Best put it to use. Using a chimney of KBB, no water pan, and a chunk of apple wood. The bird has a modified Basic BBQ Rub from one of Steven Raichlen's books. The pan will shield the bird, and hopefully will cook the veg well.

The center portion will fit a can, I did not use one. It's pretty wide, so small birds need not apply. Maybe a small turkey. This was about a 3.5 pound bird, and I had to cheat and cut the loose skin between the breast and back.

So far, so good.

41373589991_71347b9ba1_z.jpg
[/URL]On the WSM. on Flickr[/IMG]

Finished the first cook with it. Sorry no extra pics. It's been a long time since I cooked on the WSM. The pan is quite heavy, and might have benefited from being preheated. Cook time was longer than expected. The chicken was a bit small for it, and a tall can may have helped. However, the bird turned out really moist and flavourful, and a nice mild smoke flavour. The veggies cooked nicely. It is definitely a sturdy pan, and won't tip over.

I have it nicely seasoned now, and thought this might also work as a cornbread pan. Going to try that one day.

Pretty cool CI gadget. I like the idea of being able to put the fixings in with the cook

That was a great gift from the kids for sure. Like the idea and your chicken and veggies look delicious.

Back