Late butts

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Rubbed 3 (2 at 8.3 lbs each; 1 at 7.5) after salting with a mix of mild and extra hot Chimayo chilies, gran onion and garlic, thyme, marjoram, sage, organic sugar, Ceylon cinnamon, amchur, sumac, allspice, ginger, coriander, crushed black and white pepper.

On at 11:22EDT, 2 hours later than planned. Pond and windmill issues.

Temps at 240 lid at the moment. Empty foiled stock pan; RO lump. Shooting for 285-300 lid. Hickory and apple.

So was that a.m. or p.m. ? If it was a.m. and you planned on it for the evening meal, I'd be interested in the progress of the cook.

Paul

Less than an hour ago.

Just checked and the temp hasn't moved. Propped the door open a half-inch.

I was semi-thinking pulling one early(ish) for slicing and making that dinner, the others for pulling, but I haven't really decided. They are for a party that will be here the Saturday after next. I'll be on the way to Ann Arbor from Vegas so...

But I do plan on butt for dinner tonight.

Lunch was moments ago: Aleppo-rubbed house-smoked bacon, perfectly ripe tomatoes, the inner crunchier leaves of a head of butter lettuce, Maldon salt, homemade mayo on whole grain toast. Nothing beats a good BLT.

Forgot to mention--threw in a handful of unlit when the rain eased. Now 340. Closed the door. I'll see what's what in 15 min and then decide what to do with the door, if anything, and probably just let it go from there.

Kevin, I bet that BLT was to die for, I love em myself. Good luck on the butts...Rained all night and day here yesterday.

Brandon

It is ground dried green mango. Fruity and sour. Very delicious. I decided to skew to fruity-lemony (of course those flavors will deepen considerably with long cooking) and so went with the coriander, ginger, Ceylon cinn, amchur and sumac.

5 min after cracking the door at 1:47 it was 340. I figured that was long enough at higher temps to compensate for the slower come-up so I closed the door. Been ~310 ever since.

About 1.5-hours ago:

Excellent looking butts kevin!
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks.

We're not early eaters but... I just found some chicken-garlic sausage I made several months ago in the freezer. I still have some whole wheat linguine and I think i have sme dried wild mushrooms. Have some green beans and asparagus. And manchego. Toying with all that for dinner instead. Hmm.

They're not done yet but they feel like they'll be close enough soon. Lid is now ~250 and fuel is quite low. Typical for RO (I am not a fan). Nevertheless, I'd say for the bulk of the cook, including the beginning during the rise, average would be about 310. They've been on a bit over 7 hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Rubbed 3 (2 at 8.3 lbs each; 1 at 7.5) after salting with a mix of mild and extra hot Chimayo chilies, gran onion and garlic, thyme, marjoram, sage, organic sugar, Ceylon cinnamon, amchur, sumac, allspice, ginger, coriander, crushed black and white pepper. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What, no eye of newt?
icon_wink.gif

Well thanks for the blow-by-blow. I am interested in the results of a high heat butt cook within a reasonable day-time framework aiming for an evening meal. I'd like to hear your impressions of the one you pull and how you feel the fat rendered compared to the more traditional low/slow.

Paul

I too am very interested to hear the results on this one. I love my pork butts, and if there is a way to do them a little quicker, i'm all over it! I've adopted the high-heat brisket and would be happy to treat my butts the same way, or course not quite as hot. Come on man, where's the updates!!!

Sorry. Photobucket is taking forever this morning.

I pulled the butts off at 7:45. Two were done done, one was done but felt like it woudn't be pullable. I thought a rest might get it there (and so opted not to leave it) but the rest only worked for part of the butt, not all of it. Fine with me. (I should have pulled it earlier--that was the original plan--for sliced, but ended up making dinner and not bothering.)

The pullable butts felt as one expects: soft meat, loose bone. Either coould have rested just 30 min or so and been pulled for dinner, but since I decided to go a different route on the dinner front, all rested in my microwave for 2 hours. Both pullables were nicely rendered. (I do not trim butts. The fatcap was still there, of course, but fatty deposits between the muscles were minimal, no different than the ones I low/slow.) The third butt, which I unwrapped last) did have discardable interior fat, as one would expect, but it was also the same as a low/slowed butt pulled early, pre-pullable. Its bone was not loose. One small muscle section was soft and fairly pullable, but I just separated the muscles, got rid of the fat (the dogs will have a field day today) and sliced then chopped the whole thing.

One thing you can expect on a butt cook at the temps I noted is possible hardening of the bark in those spots most exposed to the highest heat. One can minimize this by foiling, of course, but one can also simply chop that bark finer. Another option is simply to flip and rotate during the cook.

High heat butts need not be cooked higher than 300 lid. That temp will significantly shorten the cooktime but pretty much leave all the other elements of a typical low/slow intact, imo. Trending to higher temps from there can alter some variables, as noted, though if time is of the essence one can cook at these higher temps (310-340). Again, remember that foiling is an option--it will further shorten the cook--though I am not a particular fan of foiling butts; just a personal non-preference. All told, I do like low/slow butts but find 285-300 butts quite worthwhile. Higher than that can be fine--there are just more thiings to consider or deal with.

Dinner, btw, salad of butter lettuce, fresh mozz, ripe tomato, drizzled with Morea and old balsamic, 4-peppercorn blend ground on, with Maldon salt; ww linguine with chicken-garlic sausage, hand-frenched green beans and asparagus, onion, wild mushrooms, piquillo chilies and thyme.

My only post-cook butt pics:

Butts 1 and 2, pulled/chopped (I don't care for lots of long, stringy meat; I pull then run the knife over it once), and a close-up:

I didn't take pics of number 3. I took a break after doing 1 and 2 and it was late when I got to that one. As noted, I separated the muscles, removed the interior fat, then just sliced (across the grain, thinly) and chopped (turning the now-sliced muscle perpendicular to where it was oriented, then chopping.

All meat was tossed with finishing sauce during pulling/chopping, cooled, then packed (thinly) in FS bags and frozen.

Back