Last weekend's rib cook

Jim S

TVWBB Fan
Last weekend, I headed up to my freind's farm for a day of food & music. A great time was had by all, and I brought 3 racks of applewood smoked ribs. I cooked the ribs the night before, and only had to gently reheat them in the oven. I was told that the time I fail to bring ribs will be the last time I am invited.

Here's some pics:

I found these ginormous rib slabs at the market. These things were mebbe 1 1/2 inches thick on this end.

IMG_3107SMENH.jpg

Getting the WSM fired up, big chunks of apple in there.
IMG_3064SMENH.jpg

After about 45 minutes or so...on they went.

IMG_3110SMENH.jpg

99% Done coming off the smoker. After I took this pic, I brought 'em indoors for a foiling and some rest in the fridge.

IMG_3119SMENH.jpg

This is from the next day after I got to the farm and they were finished in the oven. I had glazed them with a little apple juice just before they went into the oven... the smell was incredible.

IMG_3120SMENH.jpg

IMG_3121SMENH.jpg

Great Photos and Great Lookin' Ribs Jim!
Only thing I would do different....
Use LARGER chucks of WOOD
icon_biggrin.gif

Really, awesome lookin' cook!!

Awesome Ribs! Wish I had some apple wood like that! or even hickory! Never have to add any more smoke wood or charcoal if I had some timber like that!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
Very good looking ribs! Did you highjack a log truck?
icon_eek.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Almost.... a guy at work was cutting down an old apple tree in his backyard last year. I asked what he was going to do with it and he asked if I wanted some. Stupid question right? I grabbed what I could, and let the stuff season over the winter. I'll be going back for another haul in a couple weeks. Those chunks were split out of a 3"x 12" log.

I more or less Minioned the charcoal... I had a full starter can full of kingsford briq's nice and hot and added two more cans after those went into the cooker. Put the wood on top and away it went. I think that next time I'll use a little less wood. One of the racks came out somewhat bitter tasting, about the only thing that helped was a thick layer of Jack Daniels sauce.

Back