Last weekends Brisket Cook

I hadn't smoked a brisket on the WSM in a while. Here are the results of my 14 hour cook of a 12 pound packer last weekend. One of my best....

file.php

file.php

Very nice...I'm envious. How bout some details?

Well.. Ok.. There is a good story to this one.

We have a local chain of grocery stores that was downsizing by closing two of their stores. One of these was right next door to where I work. As it got closer to their actual closing date, they would increase the discount being offered on everything in the store. By the time the discount got to 15%, pretty much all of the fresh meat, dairy and produce were all gone.... As I was passing by the nearly empty meat case, this 12 lb. choice brisket as sitting there in the cooler all by itself, and was marked $1.99/lb. That price alone is about $2.50 per pound less that what you can find around here. After the 15% discount, I paid about $1.69/lb. for a total of just over $20 bucks!

I've had it in the freezer for about 6 weeks before I thawed it out for the cook this last weekend.

I keep my brisket cooks fairly simple. I do trim as much hard fat as possible and leave the softer fat at no more than 1/4". I probably took off about 1.25 lbs of fat off before applying a salt/pepper/garlic powder/onion powder rub about 6 hours before the cook.

I loaded the 'new to me' WSM 22 with hardwood lump and cherry wood and fired it up at 7:30 pm and had the brisket on at 8:00. My $150 craigslist find held temps between 225 and 235 with only a couple of minor adjustments over the 12 hours that it spent in the smoker. After 12 hours, the internal temp was sitting at 171 so I put it in a foil pan with about 2 cups of beef au jus, covered it with foil and finished it in a 235 degree oven until the internal temp hit 200. I let it rest, still covered until about 11:30 am and you see the results after slicing.

I've judged a lot of competition briskets over the last several years, and this was up there in taste and tenderness with some of the best I've tasted. I haven't attempted putting anything close to a competition box together for presentation, but I just might one of these days.

So between the great deal on the brisket, the craigslist find on the WSM, and the great result, I was one happy camper!

As a side note.... The smoke flavor kicked *** compared to the smoke flavor that I get from my GMG pellet pooper (comparing only brisket cooks).

Last edited:
Well.. Ok.. There is a good story to this one.

We have a local chain of grocery stores that was downsizing by closing two of their stores. One of these was right next door to where I work. As it got closer to their actual closing date, they would increase the discount being offered on everything in the store. By the time the discount got to 15%, pretty much all of the fresh meat, dairy and produce were all gone.... As I was passing by the nearly empty meat case, this 12 lb. choice brisket as sitting there in the cooler all by itself, and was marked $1.99/lb. That price alone is about $2.50 per pound less that what you can find around here. After the 15% discount, I paid about $1.69/lb. for a total of just over $20 bucks!

I've had it in the freezer for about 6 weeks before I thawed it out for the cook this last weekend.

I keep my brisket cooks fairly simple. I do trim as much hard fat as possible and leave the softer fat at no more than 1/4". I probably took off about 1.25 lbs of fat off before applying a salt/pepper/garlic powder/onion powder rub about 6 hours before the cook.

I loaded the 'new to me' WSM 22 with hardwood lump and cherry wood and fired it up at 7:30 pm and had the brisket on at 8:00. My $150 craigslist find held temps between 225 and 235 with only a couple of minor adjustments over the 12 hours that it spent in the smoker. After 12 hours, the internal temp was sitting at 171 so I put it in a foil pan with about 2 cups of beef au jus, covered it with foil and finished it in a 235 degree oven until the internal temp hit 200. I let it rest, still covered until about 11:30 am and you see the results after slicing.

I've judged a lot of competition briskets over the last several years, and this was up there in taste and tenderness with some of the best I've tasted. I haven't attempted putting anything close to a competition box together for presentation, but I just might one of these days.

So between the great deal on the brisket, the craigslist find on the WSM, and the great result, I was one happy camper!

As a side note.... The smoke flavor kicked *** compared to the smoke flavor that I get from my GMG pellet pooper (comparing only brisket cooks).
I've never been a big fan of foiling anything and then finishing the cook in the foil.........However, your cook is outstanding and I'll gladly duplicate this cook. Thank you!

I noticed and admired earlier! I wish it was here :) I've only done High Heat but I think I'll try a low/slow brisket cook this coming year.

Wow looks great. As said earlier never finished cook in stove / foiled but it turn out great for you. Gotta try it. At $1.69 a pound it was a good investment.

Very nice.
I don't get that kind of smoke ring either, I have tried many smoke woods.
Just does not look like that.
I know it's a cosmetic thing but I really want that beautiful bright ring.

Back