Large ribeye roast - how should I cook in on a Weber 22" Performer?

Darren Lebner

TVWBB All-Star
Roast is 5+ lbs. The toys I have to play with on my grill are a vortex cone and a poor man's rendition of a Slow N' Sear. Temperature outside is 50-55F.

TIA for your suggestions.

This will be an indirect cook, so set up the poor mans SnS for 225-250

Truss the roast to make it round for even cooking*
Dry brine it with Kosher salt the night before to the tune of 1/2 tsp per lb.

I use a paste with crushed garlic, rosemary, thyme & pepper, (there are a lot of rub recipes on-line for beef) I don't remember the ratio, but don't go overboard on the rosemary. Rub the paste on the roast right before you put it on.

Smoke it slow and slow at ~ 225-250 Use very little wood, if any. If you use a wood chunk, I suggest something mild, like Apple. It's a good cut of meat and the smoke can overwhelm.

When the internal temp hits 115-120, pull the roast and crank the heat up and then sear the roast on all sides to get that beautiful crust, and pull it at 130 for medium rare.

Here's one I did, earlier in the year.

* this is an important step, because the meat will cook evenly, and be pink throughout. If you have a roast with bones, cut the bones off and cook them separately.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• prime-rib.jpg
    prime-rib.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 20
Is it a Rib Roast or a Ribeye Roast? The most important thing if it's a Rib Roast, is to put the Ribs back on the BBQ for an hour or so. It'll be the best ribs you've ever had

I agree, truss it to make it as cylindrical as possible. I’m doing two standing roasts (bone on) and will use the 1972 Weber instructions, basic indirect method, garlic, herb, olive oil paste. One piece of bourbon barrel stave for light smoke.
Its been a long time since I’ve done one but, this should be good.

I just went out to pick up a piece of fish for tonight’s dinner and could not decide between whitefish or wild sockeye so, I got them both! One may become a first course/appetizer for Christmas alongside the roast beast. I saw more BEAUTIFUL rib roasts rolling through there than I believe I’ve ever seen before! And I mean wonderful pieces of beef!!
I wanted to get another one.

I agree, truss it to make it as cylindrical as possible. I’m doing two standing roasts (bone on) and will use the 1972 Weber instructions, basic indirect method, garlic, herb, olive oil paste. One piece of bourbon barrel stave for light smoke.
Its been a long time since I’ve done one but, this should be good.
Good call!
I have some bourbon staves from Maker's that would be great for a prime rib. Smoke is pretty subtle.

Oops. Almost forgot to update my own thread.

I had to cancel my outdoor grilling plans last week on account of rain. But the kitchen oven consolation prize turned out excellent:

Prime roast.jpg

I followed this "quit yer yappin' and cook already" French chef's instructions. My medium rare results matched his perfectly:

The juices were mopped up with homemade bread. The plates cleaned themselves.

Next time, on the grill.

Back