Large brisket on 18.5

ChrisGariepy

TVWBB Member
Just Wondering what you all do with a large brisket ?

It’s a bit big to lay flat so should I prop one side up to get more length? Lay on edge and curl? Any thoughts are appreciated

Thanks

CG

Prop it between the handles, add some foil under each end, it will shrink. I've done several 17 # 's that way.

Most people put a wood chunk or a foil ball under the middle to make it fit. And after a few hours it will shrink.

Don't hate me. But I usually separate the point and flat and cook on two racks. Plenty of space that way on an 18.5.

Cooks faster, more bark, and you can cook the two pieces for different times. I pull wrap the flat sooner -- so it doesn't dry out. And cook the point longer to render the fat and get it more tender. Very handy if you are using the point for burnt ends.

I draped the last one, fat-side down, over a chunk of wood and jammed it between the handles. The light spot is where the chunk of wood came in contact with the roast.

Attachments

• brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 12
  • hot and fast brisket 1.jpg
    hot and fast brisket 1.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 11
I just stuff it between the handles and let it “shrink to fit” did a 20# one that way and was pleased with the outcome.

Don't hate me. But I usually separate the point and flat and cook on two racks. Plenty of space that way on an 18.5.
No, that's a good idea esp if going two different routes.
I'd like to try rolling the flat like this.
It's on my to do list but in the smoker.

Back