Lamb Shanks

James Mundy

TVWBB Member
I'm cooking a couple of lamb shanks tomorrow (or later on today in U.K. time, it's a late night and I blame the rum)the first time and will be following a recipe from Big Bob's BBQ book, they're marinating as I type. However, one thing I'm confused about is that the cooking instructions indicate that you're able to cook it medium/rare etc. but it's my understanding that shanks are a tough cut and require a long cook until they're very tender, well done and falling off the bone. I haven't found any other recipes on the net about cooking shanks to rare.

Does anyone have any advice? Also, what can I expect of cooking time? Will smoke at around 250f and they weigh around a pound each.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Go with 225o.

4-6 hr but TEST them at 4 hr mark onwards for tenderness/bone releases meat somewhat similar as when testing a bone-in butt

Any particular internal temp I should be aiming for, or just the well done range of 170-175f? Or just until the bone feels loose?

Cooked them between 225-275 as it was a little windy, smoked over oak for about 4.5 hours. Very tender and delicious. I always forget to take pictures, I'm too busy eating.

Back