Lamb joints

James Mundy

TVWBB Member
Hello, a new smoker from the UK here.

I was wondering why smoked lamb wasn't especially popular, I was wanting to smoke a leg this weekend but lamb doesn't seem to be cooked anywhere near as much as the staple meats.

Why is this? Does lamb not take a very good smoke flavour?

Thanks.

In my area, Iowa, lamb is harder to find in the stores and more expensive. BBQ and smoking is usually used for less expensive meats.

Mike

I imagine it's because lamb is not eaten in the US nearly as much as other meats and a large portion of the folks on this site are from the US. That doesn't mean we can't learn from our friends across the pond. All my weber references have lamb dishes in them so I imagine they will be fantastic on the cooker. I look forward to seeing your cook and hearing how it turns out.

Interesting, I didn't realise that lamb consumption wasn't quite so widespread over there. It's not especially cheap over here either, but is quite reasonable when it's on special. I'd gladly swap your expensive lamb for the cheapness of your pork & beef! I think some of you big smokers would be very poor indeed if you were to buy it over here.

I'll try to post a pic if I find a decent cut.

Thanks.

Hello, a new smoker from the UK here.

I was wondering why smoked lamb wasn't especially popular, I was wanting to smoke a leg this weekend but lamb doesn't seem to be cooked anywhere near as much as the staple meats.

Why is this? Does lamb not take a very good smoke flavour?

Thanks.

There are a a couple of nice leg of lam recipes on this site in the "Cooking Topics" section of this site:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html#other

My wife and I really enjoy the boneless leg of lamb recipe and have done it many times. Trimming away the the thin silver and fat can be a pain, but it's a nice cook. The recipe also includes a garlic au jus that is nice, but we prefer not to add/make the au jus and just go with the lamb. I am always looking for new lamb recipes on the smoker (and grill). How do you smoke your leg of lamb?

There's a Mexican restaurant in Manhattan that serves smoked lamb tacos. I had the opportunity to speak to the chef who told me that they smoke a bone in leg of lamb and use the meat for their tacos. It is outrageously delicious. It's on my "to smoke" list for this summer.

Hey Jon when you find that recipe or do that smoke post it up brother. Oh and where in Union County? Retired 30 year P.D Scotch Plains.

Even though there are quite a few farms that have sheep, obviously pork,beef and chicken far outnumber lamb production. I always found it rather ironic that NZ fresh lamb was considerably cheaper than the stuff from a farm down the road. People always ask "why don't you carry local lamb" and I just tell them that they wouldn't buy it because of the ridiculous price.

That being said however, lamb is the best when cooked over fire, especially NZ lamb, as I find it can be rather strong flavoured.

Last edited:
James, Lamb takes very well to (mild imo) smoke! I've done shoulders as well as legs. The last with grape (vine) wood.

Hi Bill, right next door in Westfield. We've been here 19 years. Across the park from the Roosevelt School. I'll let you know when I do the lamb.

BBQ and smoking is usually used for less expensive meats.

Mike

This.

BBQ was traditionally a way to make cheap and tough cuts of meat (e.g., brisket, pork shoulders) into moist, tender, and delicious dishes. Just as people generally wouldn't smoke a filet mignon they wouldn't smoke lamb.

Whe I make lamb, it's either a rack of lamb with a marakesh rub in the oven, being careful to foil the bones, or a whole leg of lamb with garlic chunks embedded in the meat and an herbs de provence rub on the rotisserie. I'm sure it can be smoked but I'd never think to.

Lamb leg of about 2kg has been purchased and will have marinated for 48 hours by the time it'll go on the smoker, I'm following this recipe - http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/lamb2.html and it currently smells lovely. I will upload some photos tomorrow of the process and finished meat, hopefully aiming for medium rare of around 54 Celsius internal (130f). How much increase in internal temperatures will there be after removing from smoking and foiling? My brain is telling me 4-5 degrees Celsius?

Big box of apple/cherry and oak turned up and have been advised to oak smoke it, would you chaps agree?

Thanks all.

Currently I think there is no finer or more relaxing thing than chilling on my hammock alcoholic beverage close to hand whilst watching the smoker and keeping an eye on temps.

Last edited:
And here are the results:

After 48 hours marination and having been patted down -

Searing after two hours smoking at 110 Celsius -

Sliced after resting for 30 minutes, lovely and pink in the middle -

It was absolutely delicious and definitely something I'll do again in the future, though I may modify the recipe a little, I oak smoked it and it added a wonderful flavour.

Back