Kobe Beef????

So I go to my Butcher and he says that he has Kobe Beef. I tell him based on the information that I got from this site is that there not any Kobe Beef in the USA. He quickly stated that is the U.S. Kobe style of beef.

So $18.99 a pound I am very cautious. I am told this cut is the lower end of the Sirloin (Jim help me here are we talking Hanger?) Snake River Farms you can find their information Here

Didn't want to wreck it so it was just salt and pepper.

DSCN0644.jpg

Started out with some sides. Roasted corn, sweet peppers, jalapeno pepper, and some onions in a foil packet.

DSCN0629.jpg
DSCN0630.jpg
DSCN0631.jpg
DSCN0635.jpg

Now for the steak, We are going " JET ENGINE " on this one so we don't mess it up.

DSCN0646.jpg
DSCN0650.jpg
DSCN0651.jpg

Since this steak came from Snake River Farms it kinda looks like a snake. As far as a critique I don't think I am going spend $18.99 for Faux Kobe Beef. Did it taste good yes. $18.99 a pound good no. Go get yourself a good Filet and I think you would be better off. It was my Father's Day present to myself, glad I only spent $11.00 bucks.

Anyway her is your expensive plate,

DSCN0655.jpg

DSCN0654.jpg

Thanks for lookin!!!!

Bill, sure looks like Hanger to me and it looks AWESOME!
I paid 10.99 lb ...
your's looks PERFECT!
EVERYTHING looks PERFECT!

Looks like a nice trimmed hangar to me too. (there's a nerve that runs right down the center of that "teardrop".

You did a great job on cooking it though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Coffman:
As Jim Says, PERFECT and AWESOME!! Excellent meal and photos Bill! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>As they said PERFECT and AWESOME!

Beef Sticker Shock!
icon_eek.gif

well, that is for a non tenderloin cut.
But Oh My! what a beautiful job you did on it and the sides Bill!

I agree with the hanger 'look' but they don't come from the sirloin primal, so who knows?

I don't think it's a hanger. The grain seems to have been cut into a steak. The grain in a hanger runs the length of it.

Lower end of the sirloin? I'm thinking it was a slice of tri tip.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
I don't think it's a hanger. The grain seems to have been cut into a steak. The grain in a hanger runs the length of it.
Lower end of the sirloin? I'm thinking it was a slice of tri tip. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>looks very much like every hanger steak i've devoured.

Everything on that plate looks good to me.

You are right, there is no actual Kobe beef in the US. Back when it was still being imported I believe the price was around $200 per pound.

Back