Knives - forged vs stamped

Paul G.

TVWBB Emerald Member
We've obviously got people on this board that know a lot about knives and are passionate about their own. Recognizing the significant difference in price, what's your view on forged or stamped knives for non-commercial use, in terms of value.

Paul

You can find good and bad quality knives for either type, though in general I think forged tend to be higher quality. I got my wife a set of Wusthof Classic kitchen knives & love how they feel. However, there are also quality stamped knives as well. I also have a couple of Forschner knives (a slicer & a cimeter, both with fibrox handles), and I'm very pleased with both of them. For the price I think the Forschners are one of the better values around, but your best bet is to try to actually handle as many different brands & types to see what you like.

Good luck!

Greg

The Forschner fibrox-handled knives are a definite must-check-out when you're looking for knives. They consistently rank among Cooks Illustrated's top choices, right up there with the high-$$$ German forged knives. I have an assortment of various Wusthof, older Sabatier, and other "nice" forged knives along with a whole arsenal of Forschners.

If you're going to go stamped, definitely go with Forschners.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
(soon to be aka HOT WIRE BBQ)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S Petrone:
Is the primary difference weight and/or balance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, generally, both; stamped are lighter and back-weighted.

They both are just a different way to get the steel in a knife type shape. One method isn't better than the other. Steel type, balance, blade grind/profile, fit, and finish are all things that effect a knife's performance more so than if it was stamped or forged.

Thanks, Paul. You just ran my Discover card up by about $90. $59 for the knife you mentioned above, plus about $30 for a knife bag that I've been wanting for some time.

When Robert asks me what I've ordered NOW from Cutlery and More, I'm going to refer him to you.
icon_wink.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time (soon to be aka Hot Wire BBQ)

Well, Keri, your mention of the case...my current one has seen better days (better years really) so...nice price on the aluminum model!

Keri

Are you feeling ok - is anything wrong ? That was an awfully short post
icon_smile.gif
Tell Robert he'll have to get on the list of people who are from time to time unhappy with me.

BTW, what's the story on HOT WIRE BBQ ?

Paul

Hot Wire... yes - well, it's a case of my employer greasing the squeeky wheel, I think. Last year in June, I saw in a company newsletter a picture of one of our local VP's flipping a steak at The Art of Barbecue, one of the KCBS comps held here in Tulsa, that benefits the Arts and Humanities council. The article referred to HOT WIRE as being the team sponsored by PSO (Public Service of Oklahoma, the subsidiary electric company of American Electric Power that covers Oklahoma). ANYWAY, I started digging around to find out how I could get my name in the pot to help out this year.

Come to find out, they didn't have a full-fledged entry in the comp. They just had the corporate cookoff entry wherein the "celebrity" (read executive) cooks from the various supporting corporate sponsors get out there and cook a steak for the judges in a comp wherein the cookoff supplies grill, charcoal, meat, cooking tools and judges, and the corporate cooks supply rubs, marinades, and cooks. Our Corporate Affairs director offered me the benefits that come from our company's donation to the function - the entry in the corporate cookoff and two judges' seats. I told her that was great, but that it was too bad that their corporate donation didn't also cover a corporate team entry into the full competition. She then decided that it would be great to have a full PSO (Public Service Co of Oklahoma) team participating in the full competition, asked me to let her know what I needed, and that it could come out of her public relations budget. She's even going to have a banner made. I don't know yet if this is going to extend beyond this particular cookoff or not. If I bring in hardware, you never know - it could be the start of beeeea-uuutiful friendship.

Thus, I'll adopt the HOT WIRE BBQ team name, since I think that's a good name for a team sponsored by the electric company, but I'll have a smaller sign made to go down in front of the table, saying "We're Smokin' on Tulsa Time".

Soooo... did I make up for that short post above?
icon_smile.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time (dba HOT WIRE BBQ)

Keri

I hope you realize I'm only teasing about the length of your posts. I enjoy them. You write well and have a lot of knowlege about Q'n (especially briskets) and seem to know a lot about cooking, in general. My wife says it's a gender thing and men are only comfortable communicating when they're exchanging insults with each other
icon_smile.gif

The information on your company's website was also very interesting. I have done some legal work for Gulf Power which is one of several companies within the parent corporation, Southern Company.

Stay well.

Paul

I've followed the company a bit since they started producing but have yet to try a knife. They make a 9" santoku (they call 'East/West) that I'd be interested in checking out. 6.5-7" santokus are limited to me . Furi's sharpening systems are appealing but there is not enough info on their site. The systems' angles are supposed to be scalable or set-able (which would be great!) but I've not been able to determine as yet how tight an angle they allow. I need a fairly tight angle. Since their systems are at 40 degrees by default I assume their knives are as well. If I liked the 9" I'd recut it to suit me which shouldn't be a problem. I'll probably just write to them and see what they say. I've not found anyone yet who can just tell me what I want to know.

That's what I use--nearly 20 years now. That pic looks like a Glestain kind of, without the dimples, but with a damascus blade.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
"in terms of value" Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have nothing against expensive forged knives of quality. In terms of value as you asked stamped is almost always a better "value" IMNHO.

As far as sharpening I like a diamond steel. Now some folks will tell you that they will wear a knife out, BUNK! I touch up my knives every day I cook which is up to 7 days a week in a commercial kitch. My granton edge slicers bought new in 2002 have not reached the granton dimples. So I have no clue what people mean by excess metal removal. If a chip comes out of the edge I use a diamond wetsone which uses water. My diamond steel keeps my edges razor sharp as the stupid tape will testify to on occasion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> My diamond steel keeps my edges razor sharp as the stupid tape will testify to on occasion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So does mine. But--

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> So I have no clue what people mean by excess metal removal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

--what people mean is just that, although if they're getting metal removal they are using the wrong diamond steel. Unlike metal steels, diamond steels come graded. Many manufacturers (both of knives and steels) do not make a range, they make medium or maybe medium and coarse. Unlike fine, super-fine, or ulyra-fine diamond steels (or metal ones), medium and coarse steels are made to sharpen, not finish, knives. If used as a finishing tool they will definitely remove too much metal. I use a diamond ultra-fine as a finishing (and between-use) steel. My guess, Konrad, is that you probably use a similar one.

Like Kevin said steeling a knife is not to sharpen it. Steeling is to realine the edge back to strait. However, some steels like ceramic and others can be used to sharpen. Proper steeling should be very lite, the weight of the blade alone is enough, and will only take 1 or 2 strokes per side. Anymore and you are starting to sharpen.

Back