KitchenAid Stand Mixer Attachments

1670465982815.png
One of the attachments for our KitchenAid is the ice cream maker. We have made a lot of Mango Ice Cream and Strawberry Ice Cream. The first ice cream was made in '92. Wow, the mixer is over 30 years old and still going strong. (ours is white, the one here is from Amazon site).

Last edited:
I have the ice cream maker but have yet to use it because I've never had enough free space in the freezer for it LOL So it still sits in the box untouched for like 5 or 6 years now

We also have the sausage stuffer and grinder. DH just found the juicer and pasta maker.

Last edited:
Has anyone used a grain mill attachment (or even any other means) to make your own flour for, say, breadmaking? Or am I getting carried away with my Internet searches?

Has anyone used a grain mill attachment (or even any other means) to make your own flour for, say, breadmaking? Or am I getting carried away with my Internet searches?
Personally, I haven't..... but several years ago, I did run across what looked to be a fairly objective review that was "Don't waste your money. Very slow, and just doesn't produce as good a product as commercial." Guess I can believe that, considering what an industrial mill consists of. I think this is a pretty good case where I'll buy the product.

My Mom had one, didn’t use it a lot but, we didn’t live that far from a grocery store. If we had lived back on her childhood farm, maybe we would have. It’s a pretty cool piece of equipment.

With our KA coming up on 40 years old and we have semi retired it. Got rid of the meat grinder attachment and the pasta making attachment.
It now makes cardamon bread dough and pumpkin bread at Christmas time. The meat grinder I bought for well under $100 is 10 times faster than the KA and we just use store bought pasta now. Got to keep the old KA going until we just don't want to use it anymore. (Or I can't lift it out of the cabinet anymore):(

Last edited:
When the accessory first was introduced it said right on the box "Coffee and Grain Mill" and was marketed to grind both. I think KA got tired of people complaining about the grinding mechanism clogging up after doing coffee beans and then trying to mill flour. It even uses the same burrs as my current KA coffee grinder. So gotta figure that is the reason they have this caution on the box now. Since the unit has not changed over the years

I have had 1 for close to 30 years and have ground a lot of meat with the grinding attachment, have the old school slicer/shredder turbo style, also bought the pasta extruder which worked very well, found out I was diabetic so that's put up somewhere. all have worked very well, I did see a crack in the meat grinder case at the back, it may never fail but I will replace it some time soon with a all metal, I own a 1 hp meat grinder and rarely use it. Wife bought it for me at Christmas 1 year and not sure how she afforded it lol. I cant ever see me not having 1. ? mine is the tilt head what is the reason for the lift style? to me it looks more troublesome taking the beaters ect off

? mine is the tilt head what is the reason for the lift style? to me it looks more troublesome taking the beaters ect off
I would not disagree that the tilt-head might allow for easier access and I'm not an expert on the pros and cons between the two styles but KA's brief descriptions of each style seem to suggest that the bowl-lift style might better support larger batches or kneading.

KA's bowl-lift at a glance comment:
1670768578555.png

KA's tilt-head at a glance comment:
1670768615649.png

Folks like @LMichaels and @Brett-EDH would be able to offer more detail on this, I suspect.

Tilt head does have an accessibility advantage. I recently rebuilt a tilt head for a commercial cookie baker and while I was doing so I loaned her a 6qt lifter type. She hated it. So go figure. I know my wife sometimes asks for a tilter as well. The true advantage of the lift type is strength and durability. If you try to do a heavy load of say bread dough in the tilt head they can literally (and I have seen them and repaired them that have done this) rip the bowl lock mechanism apart. Either ruining the bowl lock or the bowl itself (sometimes both). With a lifter type the bowl is solidly "locked" to the frame of the machine and once locked will not come off or rock. It's why you only see the lifting style on 5qt and up machines. I actually keep a VERY old model 3C in working condition for those times of just making a smaller batch of say batter and quick lift of the head is nice to have. This is a small 3qt machine Hobart made beginning in 1953 until 1960 or so. IIRC the one I have is a 1957. It's not used very often as rather than bring it up my wife will pull out her KA hand mixer, of which I just recently upgraded for her. I got her (matching the red Commercial unit) a 9 speed hand mixer. Beautiful little unit and quite powerful (even includes dough hooks), and has the soft start feature like the large 7qt and 8qt commercial units. Plus has a swivel cord which is pretty cool. And then most recently I picked up the 7spd version of that one (same power fewer accessories) in gray. Stopped working so I only paid $8,00 for it. Got it going in about 10 min and it's a beaut.
I still have my mom's old meat grinder (old Hobart unit) attachment. All cast metal. Not sure what I would buy if I wanted to buy one today. Though I think for larger batches one might be better off with a stand alone dedicated grinder.

If you try to do a heavy load of say bread dough in the tilt head they can literally (and I have seen them and repaired them that have done this) rip the bowl lock mechanism apart.
How should either style be carried? I must admit that I've moved my older KSM150 tilt by holding it underneath the head. :rolleyes:

I do the same on tilters. But, it would not be a bad idea to also place a hand under the base as it does put a bit of a strain on the head latch to carry it like that

Back