Kitchen knife replacement thoughts

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
I have ambition to replace my kitchen knife block which is a Henckels set.
I thought it was something else when I bought it and found it on sale for what I thought was a very good price.
The 8" does a lot of the work and it still seems to cut okay but some of the knives came dull and useless.......
Since picking up my new set of Zwilling steak knives I posted I have come to the point where I do use these knives daily and would like a good set.

It feels as though the knives from Zwilling are of good quality, I have been researching the different line ups and whatnot.
I understand the buget lines vs better and best, some get made in Germany and Japan which is great and it seems as the more budget tend to be made in Spain.

Interested in your thoughts on this brand and experience if you need to tell a story.
Also any other brands you have personal experience with and why I should own that brand.

Note:

I am after a smaller block than I currrently have to save counter space. I think I currently have somewhere around a 15 piece set including steak knives.
I am after a set that does not include steak knives.....this alone will help save some space.
A magnetic block is a very possible option.
Something around a 7 to 9 piece sounds right in my head including the block, sharpening steel and shears if they happen to be a part of it.
Going to need a chef's knife, the others I use less but a bread knife would be great and, a utility, carving, veggie, santoku all would be nice.

Zwilling Professional S has been my knives for 32 years now. Replaced a few knives under warranty last year, posted here, without any issues.

I also own a few Wusthoff German knives. Buy quality knives once and you’re set for life.

A whet stone is my sharpener. I use the steel for straightening frequently so the teeth are in alignment.

I’d avoid the cheap ones. They just won’t last the rest of time.

I know this will seem REALLY weird, but I have very high end cutlery (Henkels, Zwilling, Carbon and SS blades) and here is the set I use the most. Holds and takes a great edge, come REALLY sharp and outstanding value. Only difference is my set does not have the goofy engravings. Otherwise same knives

Your link send me to Amazon and it wants to show me pillows and cutting boards.......
Might be a .com vs a .CA thing......???

There have been a couple of good threads on knife brands. Most of my personal experience is with Wusthof and I've got a set that's close to 30 years old.

I use my 8 inch chef the most, so much that I bought a second.

Zwilling Professional S has been my knives for 32 years now. Replaced a few knives under warranty last year, posted here, without any issues.

I also own a few Wusthoff German knives. Buy quality knives once and you’re set for life.

A whet stone is my sharpener. I use the steel for straightening frequently so the teeth are in alignment.

I’d avoid the cheap ones. They just won’t last the rest of time.

Was eyeing up the Prof. S series there.....seen a few sales......
Have you had to get them sharpened or was it manditory you sharpen them at one point?
Have you had training in the sharpening because there is some skill to be had there for a nice razor sharp edge.
I wish I could but because I never tried I am sure I would know the results.

Have you had to get them sharpened or was it manditory you sharpen them at one point?
Have you had training in the sharpening because there is some skill to be had there for a nice razor sharp edge.
i posted a coupon link for members to use. i'll see if i can refind that for you.

here ya go: https://tvwbb.com/threads/zwilling-extraordinary-customer-service-experience.96603/post-1121942

idk if this works in Canadia (hahhah) so syou'll have to advise us if so.

I will have to look into this brand apparently.

If I had to replace my knife's I would look at Zwilling Pro or Wusthof Classic.

I’ve been collecting kitchen knives since I was 14 and that Chicago Cutlery 10” chef knife is one I do still use. I inherited a couple from my Dad and Mom but, the one I seem to really grab right now is an 8” Victorinox! Hit it with a steel every time! The thing is a basic work knife! I inherited a 10” Old Hickory chefs knife that my Dad bought when we took a family trip to Maine and Nova Scotia. He bought it at an OLD hardware store across the street from the original L.L. Bean three story building with Old Town canoes in the loading dock.
Last time I was there the place was just awful. A giant tourist trap! I don’t think I need to go back. But, anywhere else up there? I’ll go back to Calais and snoop around up there anytime.

Forgot about them, good knives, not miserably expensive either! Good stuff for not a lot.
Just saw a “Bobby Flay” set in a ten knife or three knife set. They might be rubbish but, they were quite pretty.
Nope, not buying anything!
Personally, I would not necessarily buy any “set” I really don’t care if my “working knives” match table knives for “steak” knives. Honestly, a cleaver, good chef style knife, a long slicer, a utility, a paring knife. More than enough. There are twelve knives right at my counter, I generally use three!
Think about hate you do and how you use them. I mean really consider what you grab every day, once a week, once a month.

Last edited:
If I had to replace my knife's I would look at Zwilling Pro or Wusthof Classic.

I like Brett have been using the Zwillig Professional S knives for over 30 years. I like the pro knives because they do not have the large bolster. From what I understand, same knife but ground without the bolster.

Forgot about them, good knives, not miserably expensive either! Good stuff for not a lot.
Just saw a “Bobby Flay” set in a ten knife or three knife set. They might be rubbish but, they were quite pretty.
Nope, not buying anything!
Personally, I would not necessarily buy any “set” I really don’t care if my “working knives” match table knives for “steak” knives. Honestly, a cleaver, good chef style knife, a long slicer, a utility, a paring knife. More than enough. There are twelve knives right at my counter, I generally use three!
Think about hate you do and how you use them. I mean really consider what you grab every day, once a week, once a month.
I have been thinking the same recently, use a magnetic block and just get the knives I use perhaps.

Sorry the link did not work. I know they're low priced but gotta say they aren't "cheap". The quality is absolutely amazing not even putting the price into it. I guarantee if they came from Germany they'd easily be $150 per knives

Back