Kirkland pellets and unusual start up issue

My Sam’s also has their 40lb bag for 14.99 as Ed noted. I also learned here about Academy, a store I never even noticed. (The name and outside of the store gives no hint to what is inside; Rural King on the other hand looks on the outside exactly like what you get inside🤣!) Academy has a wide selection of Bear Mountain pellets - 20lb for $9.99. That’s three bucks less than the Lowes down the road from them. They have a couple blends but also apple, mesquite and hickory single-type (although I am sure along with a base type of wood). These, and others they have, let you get a specific smoke or can be used to make your own blends.
Our Academy also has B&B pellets and their Championship blend is Pecan, Oak, and Cherry. That's my favorite B&B and they're 15 or 16 bucks for 40 lbs.

I guess I didn't look carefully enough, because online it shows that 40lb bag for $16.99 and ready to pick up. It is the only B&B pellet type they have on hand. That is probably why I missed it and also because the package doesn't look like a typical B&B product.

The single variety 20lb bags seem to all be out of stock.

Like I mentioned in another thread I had a 4” block of pellets lodged in my auger, they had gotten wet from this terrible winter and then dried into a brick, I chipped at it with a screw driver and then vacuumed it out. The pellets left in the hopper looked ok but did not snap when I broke them. I tossed them and started fresh. The SmokeFire never worked better. I still have a bunch of bags of Weber pellets but at the $18.99 price point I can’t see myself buying them again. I used to stock up in winter and got them for $7-8 a couple years in a row, looks like Lowes is out of the Weber pellet business though.

When I run out I will try the Cabellas first and see how that goes.

I’m beginning to run low on JD pellets and plan o trying the Kirkland pellets once more. I’ve since purchased and transferred a good portion of the pellets into a pellet container which is stored indoors. This will hopefully allow me to determine If the first initial uses that I posted about may have been moisture related. Wish me luck.

And thank you gentlemen for all of your input. While I like the price point of these pellets, I would say they are not my favourite.

Wanted to provide an update.

Last week I ran some Kirkland pellets through the grill with zero issues. I shutdown the grill no different than last time. Moments ago I fired it up to make some late night wings while watching the hockey game. Zero issues.

Going back to my initial post about finding a jammed pellet in the auger, I’m lead to believe that moisture got in / on the pellet somehow, as some of the members suggested.

I thought it was important to come back and mention this as not to deter anyone with a Smokefire from trying these pellets. They’re decent, and for the price - you cannot go wrong.

I use the Kirkland pellets in my Memphis Pro and have never had an issue. My grill sits year round outside under a covered patio area and I keep the pellets in 5 gallon buckets in a cabinet also outside under the patio cover. There’s little humidity where I live in Idaho, so I don’t have clumping issues, but I also didn’t when I lived a half block from Puget Sound in the Seattle area.

Back