Kirkland briquettes?

Jonny Clegs

I went to my local Costco today to get a two-pack of Kingsford Blue and saw a two-pack of Kirkland Blue right next to them. Does anyone have experience with Costco-brand charcoal? I didn't think to take a picture, but the bag said something like "Lights Easily" which made me concerned they might be more like match-light charcoal and smell/taste funny. I'll try to take a pic next time I'm in there.

Saw these as well, I hope it doesn’t mean they are not going to sell KPro.
I have six bags left and if it comes down to it I guess I’ll try them.

I went to my local Costco today to get a two-pack of Kingsford Blue and saw a two-pack of Kirkland Blue right next to them. Does anyone have experience with Costco-brand charcoal? I didn't think to take a picture, but the bag said something like "Lights Easily" which made me concerned they might be more like match-light charcoal and smell/taste funny. I'll try to take a pic next time I'm in there.

I saw those recently when I was getting some briquettes at Costco.
I was tempted to try some out since most all the Kirkland products I have tried were just rebranded quality products.

I had to provide bbq as payment to a neighbor for assisting me on a job the other day and I wasn’t about to gamble on an unknown product.
I will give those briquettes a go sometime but I’m kinda really satisfied with the blue bag.

I am curious about how hot it burns and how much it is consumed if it’s equal to Kingsford and less expensive my brand loyalty could be for sale or maybe Kingsford might react to its competition if that is the case.

The text on the Kirkland bag strongly mimics the text on the bag for KPro. Which Costco has been selling for the past several years. All natural, burns hot, professional competition vs. professional; good for ceramic cookers.

So I'm guessing that Costco still sells K-Pro. With Kingsford Pro now being private labeled as Kirkland Pro.

I've been using KPro for the past couple of years and think it is a nice upgrade from KBB. So hopefully the same KPro stuff (regardless of which K is on the bag) will still be available at Costco.

Last edited:
The text on the Kirkland bag strongly mimics the text on the bag for KPro. Which Costco has been selling for the past several years. All natural, burns hot, professional competition vs. professional; good for ceramic cookers.

So I'm guessing that Costco still sells K-Pro. With Kingsford Pro now being private labeled as Kirkland Pro.

I've been using KPro for the past couple of years and think it is a nice upgrade from KBB. So hopefully the same KPro stuff (regardless of which K is on the bag) will still be available at Costco.
This is my hope!

Back