kiolbassa sausage

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I picked up some of this Beef Sausage at COSTCO the other day and cooked some up tonight. An outfit out of San Antonio. Not bad at all.

Last edited:
They are supposed to be in stock at the Costco close to me, looks good enough to try.

Thank you Dwain! This is exactly the type of sausage i want to serve (along with ribs) on Smoke Day 2016.
Wisconsin Bratwurst and Kielbasa just isn't the same as smoked beef sausage from Texas...
I'll look for it at my local Costco this weekend.

Looked for this sausage today at our Costco and they didn't have it. Asked one of the meat guys about the prime briskets I've seen popping up on the board that are from other Costcos and he said "our store has never carried them and probably never would". Costco's strategy sometimes leaves me scratching my head.

Last edited:
The Kiolbassa brand sausage is righteous. When I lived up north, I couldn't find anything like real Texas beef sausage anywhere. (We had plenty of great locally-made Polish kielbasa, but it's not the same.) So I got grinder and stuffer attachments for the Kitchen-Aid, ordered some hog casings from Amazon and looked up a few recipes.

It's surprisingly simple to make good Texas beef sausage at home. Like with barbecue seasoning, it's mainly just salt and pepper. You have to add liquid, and water works fine, but you can get creative by adding a little hot sauce, beer, some whiskey ... whatever. The key is to keep all the meat as cold as possible when you are working it. If the meat warms up, many four-letter words will be uttered.

In the end, we just moved to Texas and the problem got solved. When you venture down this way, keep in mind that most barbecue restaurants make their own sausage or have it made to their specs, so each is a bit different. Always add a link to your menu order.

Jeff

We picked some up earlier in the week and it was great. So great in fact, we're having it again tonight...............

The Kiolbassa brand sausage is righteous. When I lived up north, I couldn't find anything like real Texas beef sausage anywhere. (We had plenty of great locally-made Polish kielbasa, but it's not the same.) So I got grinder and stuffer attachments for the Kitchen-Aid, ordered some hog casings from Amazon and looked up a few recipes.

It's surprisingly simple to make good Texas beef sausage at home. Like with barbecue seasoning, it's mainly just salt and pepper. You have to add liquid, and water works fine, but you can get creative by adding a little hot sauce, beer, some whiskey ... whatever. The key is to keep all the meat as cold as possible when you are working it. If the meat warms up, many four-letter words will be uttered.

In the end, we just moved to Texas and the problem got solved. When you venture down this way, keep in mind that most barbecue restaurants make their own sausage or have it made to their specs, so each is a bit different. Always add a link to your menu order.

Jeff

So how does their beef sausage compare to central texas sausage? I lived in centex for some time and really miss the sausage. Also, mind sharing a centex style sausage recipe? ;)

Last week I finally made it over to the local Costco to try some of this Kiolbassa sausage. They only had 2 styles, Beef and Cheddar or Pork.
I tried the Beef and Cheddar, it has good flavor, but is not quite as smokey as what I had expected. So I picked up more Apple Wood yesterday
and will try it in the WSM for the next couple of sausages, on low temp, keeping in mind that it is already fully cooked.

I ran over to Costco and bought a pack of "Beef". I'm cooking a small flat right now and plan on tossing it on. My first impression after opening the package wasn't good. It very much has the smell and feel of a hot dog. I hope the flavor and texture are there, but I have a feeling texture will not be. I'll report back

i tried it yesterday and thought it was EXCELLENT!
I will be serving this with brisket and spare ribs for SMOKE DAY 12.

We're heading to Costco on Saturday and will be looking for some also. It sounds delicious, so I hope they have it.

So how does their beef sausage compare to central texas sausage? I lived in centex for some time and really miss the sausage. Also, mind sharing a centex style sausage recipe? ;)

I am also from TX and missed the sausage. This is pretty darn close to what I remember. After all, it is made in San Antonio.

I grilled some of the roasted garlic links Saturday and it was a big hit with family.
Nice inside of meatloaf too. :)

IMGP4154.JPG

Back