Kingsford types

Dan C

I was at HD and they had 2 20# bags for 17 and change. I was at Costco tonight and they had 2 18# bags for 19 and change.
The bags at Costco were competition briquets.
I have always used the regular with good results.
What is the difference with the competition and what does type everyone use or prefer.
Thanks Dan

The competition are 100% natural. Supposedly no fillers or extra chemicals. And they claim burn hotter. Essentually similar to lump in a briquette form. Kingsford blue works for me

If faced with the choice I much prefer the K Comp over the Blue. (Haven't used Blue in years. I really do not care for it.) Wicked Good is superior, imo, as the NW article seems to concur, but lacking local availability of that I go for K Comp or Stubb's.

I just don't like the smell of burning plywood the KC smells like or the white smoke that billows from my Weber. I'll stick with KB and the chemicals in it. I am mainly using Stubbs right now though and was very happy with some lump I used the other day as well. I also like the TJ's natural.

Way I see it, there's two advantages to regular Kbb over K Comp: price, and burn rate if you don't use water in the pan (cooking low-n-slow).

Not only does K Comp not have the characteristic Kbb foul odor (and yes, "blue bag flavor"), it burns fast and hot, making it super for high heat grilling and smoking. I also like it for low-n-slow on my wsm, but I usually have a full cooker and water in the pan. I've gotten in the habit lately of using some Kbb in a chimney to start my smokes, poured on the K Comp. Costco has the best price 'round here for K Comp, and I stock up on the K bb when it's a loss leader at Home Depot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Way I see it, there's two advantages to regular Kbb over K Comp: price, and burn rate if you don't use water in the pan (cooking low-n-slow).

Not only does K Comp not have the characteristic Kbb foul odor (and yes, "blue bag flavor"), it burns fast and hot, making it super for high heat grilling and smoking. I also like it for low-n-slow on my wsm, but I usually have a full cooker and water in the pan. I've gotten in the habit lately of using some Kbb in a chimney to start my smokes, poured on the K Comp. Costco has the best price 'round here for K Comp, and I stock up on the K bb when it's a loss leader at Home Depot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent points, Dave. I have been doing the same as you do, starting KBB in the chimney for LNS cooks, but I use Stubb's or GFS briquettes made by Royal Oak to fill the charcoal ring. I will say that KBB lights much faster than other briquettes when you are only lighting a few in the chimney and I usually only have to use one or two starter cubes to get them going.

I still use KBB for grilling and I find that as long as it is ashed over before cooking, it doesn't have the funky smell that we all despise.

Haven't used K Comp because I haven't looked for it. I have talked to a few folks who have used it and they seem to like it.

I've used the K comp before and I like it. My only gripe with it is I can't shut down the WSM and save any for the next schmoke.
Next morning the ashes are still glowing and no left-overs.
Never had that happen with RO briqs or lump.

Tim

i prefer to use kingsford blue for slow-n-low smoking since i don't need charcoal that burns hotter for that form of cooking. i've used the competition style a few times and imho, i couldn't really tell the difference. since kingsford blue goes on sale this time of the year, it really is a no brainer for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim H.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:

Not only does K Comp not have the characteristic Kbb foul odor (and yes, "blue bag flavor"), it burns fast and hot, making it super for high heat grilling and smoking. I also like it for low-n-slow on my wsm, but I usually have a full cooker and water in the pan. I've gotten in the habit lately of using some Kbb in a chimney to start my smokes, poured on the K Comp. Costco has the best price 'round here for K Comp, and I stock up on the K bb when it's a loss leader at Home Depot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent points, Dave. I have been doing the same as you do, starting KBB in the chimney for LNS cooks, but I use Stubb's or GFS briquettes made by Royal Oak to fill the charcoal ring. I will say that KBB lights much faster than other briquettes when you are only lighting a few in the chimney and I usually only have to use one or two starter cubes to get them going.

I still use KBB for grilling and I find that as long as it is ashed over before cooking, it doesn't have the funky smell that we all despise.

Haven't used K Comp because I haven't looked for it. I have talked to a few folks who have used it and they seem to like it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, if you smoke with a dry pan you might not like the K Comp for low-n-slow. I believe it probably burns a little faster than Stubbs, and I'm sure it burns faster than the GFS briquettes. If you like those, you might try ordering some of the Chef's Select RO through Doitbest.com. Might be the same exact stuff, but it's at a better price.

Back