Kingsford to Change the Original Formula for Jan 2010

Originally posted by Rusty:
I WAS buying nothing but 100% hardwood charcoal brands until the magical $6 coupon appeared. This allowed me to buy a 18 lb. bag of Kingsford for $1.50. At that price, I learned to love Kingsford. I don't care what the formula is
icon_smile.gif

I have over 50 bags in my garage now!
icon_smile.gif

Rusty. Where is this mysterious coupon. I've herd of it and traveled near and far and no luck. Can you guide me in the right direction?

Originally posted by Pat Smith:
I heard Derrick Riches on The BBQ Central Show podcast recently (not sure which date because I download from Itunes and then listen to them on my iPod) and he mentioned this.

The grooves and the "K" in the briquette will be deeper and yes, the bag weights will change - they will go down BUT you're supposed 'to get the same cooking time' as the old sized bag.

I can't get my hands around that. Still, I use K a lot for smoking because it is plentiful, consistent and relatively cheap. I tend toward lump for my grilling.

I'm sure like a lot of others, I'll grumble a bit, then go on looking for the best price (probably still at Sam's).

Pat

Thanks Pat. I have now started doing the same. That is a great show. I find myself glued to my speakers. Just one more fix for my addiction!

Stay away from the flavor added briquettes & use real wood. The added flavor tastes synthetic to me.

I used the 'new' K for the first time last night, and it seems to burn quite a bit hotter than the 'old' K.

Anyone else experience this?

Hey Bob ..interesting review...I used some with the hickory in it earlier today & that review supported my impressions of the new stuff
icon_wink.gif
I like it...less smoke, more heat, longer burn, less ash, a little slower ta light...I think it's a pleasant improvement...while not earth shattering, I'd say it's several baby steps in the right direction
icon_cool.gif

amazing that k has used a lot of $$$$$$ in r&d to just get back to the real original stuff. a lot more $$$$$ and we might get the original stuff back. thats the stuff that no one had any problems with in the first place. course the price has doubled in the mean time.

course the price has doubled in the mean time.

I was at Wally World last Friday and they had 18 lb bags for $7.50. I thought that was expensive. I asked a friend of mine that worked there if the price will come down for the summer. He said he doesn't think so. Don't you think $7.50 for an 18 lb bag is kind of steep?

Originally posted by Pat Smith:

The grooves and the "K" in the briquette will be deeper and yes, the bag weights will change - they will go down BUT you're supposed 'to get the same cooking time' as the old sized bag.

The PatioDaddio review shows a difference in temperature but the duration seems to be only minimally better. So will I really use less new K vs old K for any of my cooks? My other concern is that my measure for cooking time is based on the "chimney" of original K
icon_biggrin.gif
A full chimney of the new stuff should be too much compared to a chimney of the old stuff (according to K) and by weight is more expensive than the old because there's less new stuff in a bag. So the cynic in me says that K did this not only to save money on coal as mentioned by one reviewer but to sell more bags of (more expensive) new charcoal because some people will continue to use the chimney-multiple measure of charcoal for a cook because that's what in use on the sites.

Waz

Originally posted by Chuck Simon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">course the price has doubled in the mean time.

I was at Wally World last Friday and they had 18 lb bags for $7.50. I thought that was expensive. I asked a friend of mine that worked there if the price will come down for the summer. He said he doesn't think so. Don't you think $7.50 for an 18 lb bag is kind of steep? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was $7.50 at our Wallyworld all last year, still is. Our store just got in a pallet of the new stuff, stuck it behind the pallet of old stuff and no price yet.

Back