Kingsford hickory charcoal

If you can find it on sale, than give it a try, but for full price I would pass. I tried it in 08, and while it does smell better when firing off compared to regular KBB, that quickly passes, than it acts the same way.
If you want to smoke with almost zero Hickory flavor than it's worth it.
Me, I like a stronger smoke flavor, so always use a chunk of wood or two.:wsm:

Tim

I've got some Royal Oak hickory and mesquite briquettes. I didn't notice a big difference when using it to smoke, probably because I was already using smoke wood. However, I like to use it for grilling, seems to give burgers and steaks a little something extra.

Yeah, i'm with Tim on this subject...
think Kingsford wants folks to expand their horizons a bit with this type of charcoal... ain't nothing wrong with that...
I think best for quick grillin' ...

Seems like the minion method would be a great use.

May try it one day! Would be nice if Kingsford had a apple wood option.

Yes I have. There are two products that shouldn't be confused: Kingsford Charcoal with hickory (and mesquite) and Kingsford Smokehouse Style Briquettes with hickory (and mesquite). I believe you're asking about the first which is regular charcoal briquettes impregnated with fine wood chips. The second is briquettes actually formed from wood chips not charcoal for the purpose of smoking not cooking. I've used and tried them all... Hehe y'all know me by now.

Cooking with the charcoal w chips smells great and produces good smoke, but the coals burn down much faster compared to regular Kingsford (I call it blue bag) because of the wood chips. So I didn't get the predictable time duration that I've come to rely on from the regular blue bag coals. There was nothing wrong with them, in the end I just found it easier and less expensive to use regular blue bag coals and add my own wood, especially since all my cooks over the past were based on figuring this timing and method out.

Last, back to the chip-formed briquettes.... They are cool and work great. I got a bag free with a purchase of a 2-pack of regular blue last fall, so I figured what the hell ill try them out ... They produce good smoke, and are efficient to use (2-3 on a 30-45 min steak/chop cook, 4-6 on longer 90-120+ min cooks. Are they much different than throwing a handful of chips on the coals?.... No, other the they're compact and tidy for ease of use. I wish Kingsford offered pecan and apple in these products as we'll. Are they worth the $5-6 buck they cost, yah....

Try them all, because of their quality and consistency Kingsford is definitely my briquette of choice and any of their products are worth trying and experimenting with.

Don't lift the lid....

Like others I have tried the hickory charcoal and am not impressed. The smoke lasts a very short period of time. But I have never seen the other product Jak speaks of. No one carries it up here.

I tried it both in the WSM and in the Stumps. Wasn't impressed either time. IMO, the problem was that the wood in the briquette burned up and was gone by the time the charcoal was fully lit. So you end up right back to where KBB is.

Plus, I'm just not a big fan of mesquite or hickory on the big meats.

Russ

I have not used the Kingsford ones but I do really like the Royal Oak Hickory briquettes. I pick them up at Menards and always watch for them on sale. I like using them when I am doing the snake method in my kettle grill, much easier to get smoke and maintain a steady temperature over using charcoal and wood chunks with that method in my opinion.

Back