Kingsford Charcoal

Rob N

TVWBB Member
Went to Home Depot the other day...They got a Deal with two 20lb bags(40Lbs Total) Kingsford Origanl Charcoal wrapped together for $15 dollars and some change. Thought it was a great buy, thought Id pass on Good News..STOCK UP!

Rob,

That is the usual price in Wichita as far as I know. I just bought the same bag last week. If you are a member of Sam's you can get two 24lbs bags for about the same price. On a side note I'm glad to see there is another Wichitan on the forum!

yea no kidding! I think we might be the only ones! I just was trying out some more charcoal I usually buy Ozark Oak lump charcoal from downtown at "All Things Bbq" on douglas in the Delano District. Have you Ever seen Royal Oak lump at the Wal-Marts here? I've Looked but no luck.....

I was buying Royal Oak last spring and summer at the Wal Mart on north Rock. I have switched back to kingsford, but it seems like early last fall I saw some royal oak lump there.

Wait until the week of Memorial Day, and it might even be cheaper. Occasionally though, I wonder if we get what we pay for.

The other day, I had seven large burger patties on my OTG. I'm careful to not only avoid crowding the grate, but also to flip to a spot a few inches over where a burger hasn't been cooking. Anyway, for some reason, about a fifth of the coals started going out from the drippings...a whole lot worse than ever before. I left all the vents open, and sure enough, I couldn't believe how much was left in the way of briquettes the next morning.

I promise you, the most expensive lump out there would've been a better value on this cook since I shut the vents to reuse my lump. I started off with two chimneys 3/4 full of K blue as usual, and no, I didn't let ash clog the vents or close them except for a couple of times when I had the lid off to minimize flare-ups. I noticed what was happening right after I turned them so I checked to make sure I hadn't shut the vent.
icon_confused.gif

FYI, just got the latest Costco flier. Advertised $3.50 off per double bag pack of Kingsford Competition. 2 18lb bags I think. No idea the original price to take $3.50 off, but just FYI.

Thanks guys...and Thanks Phil.. Im on a Kingsford kick right now but I think im going to try some more lump, I'll definatly hit up the Wally World up on Rock. I keep my eye on Kingsford tho.. I'll definatly let you know if I run into any more deals around here

Jim,
The Costco here in Vegas sells the 2/18 lbs bundle of K comp for $18 so $3.50 off makes it a little more managable.

I just joined Sams, the 2x 23LB pack came in around $16, not too bad at ~$0.35 / lb. I will still stock up at the memorial weekend sales when it gets down to under ~$0.30 / lb.

Originally posted by Michael C.:
I'm waiting for the Memorial weekend sale, at HD. That is when I really stock up on Kingsford!

That's what I did last year and plan to do again this year. As I recall, the price was either just above or just below $8.00 for the 40# twin pak which is approximately half price.

I bought about 35 twin paks and used the last of it during the two KCBS contests held in Southern California on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

That sale saves a lot of money in our competition budget!

I break all the rules and use a store brand charcoal. I used kingsford for like ten years because I had sams membership. It is too expensive any where else. I found a store brand that I like well and it is only 4.99 a bag for 20 pounds.

No way I will keep it a secret George! I did not think any one was as CHEAP as me..LOL.. I just grab my charcoal at Sav-A Lot.. It is like an aldi..The "house" brand of charcoal is called Kindle. It nothing special, but when you go thru a bag or more all summer long every week! It is a No frills supermarket. I always go 1st thing in the morning cause they always put out discounted meat that is still awesome to smoke!

On major holidays where they expect lots of barbqueing Home Depot usually will put two 20# bags on sale for $9.95.

Back