Kingsford applewood charcoal

Gib Gibson

TVWBB Member
Has anybody ever used the Kingsford charcoal with the wood chips "built in" to the charcoal for lack of a better term? I caught a bag on sale a while back and will probably use it this weekend. Was thinking of throwing a little bit of hickory chunks in with it, not a ton, just a little. Does that stuff create a smoky flavor at all, or should I treat it just like regular charcoal?

Thanks!

Has anybody ever used the Kingsford charcoal with the wood chips "built in" to the charcoal for lack of a better term? I caught a bag on sale a while back and will probably use it this weekend. Was thinking of throwing a little bit of hickory chunks in with it, not a ton, just a little. Does that stuff create a smoky flavor at all, or should I treat it just like regular charcoal?

Thanks!
Someone gave me a bag, and I didn't perceive any difference between it and regular Kingsford. I'd treat it just like everyday charcoal.

Same here - I tried the Hickory and another one, Apple I think, when they first came out years ago.
I didn't notice any difference either.

negative. i use lump or briqs and add the wood flavor i seek to impart. its just too easy to cook this way than any other way, for me.

I have used the hickory and it does add flavor, not sure about the apple but you have to remember the wood has been heat treated and you loose a lot of flavor, same reason pellets leave a lite smoke flavor. The price is what stops me from using it as the trade off taste/cost . I add my wood

Back