Kinds of grills that you have?

David

TVWBB Pro
Since we do not have a general subject posting area, and this is not a thread about "show us your Weber's or other grills", and there is no way to post a poll, thought I would just ask the question. What type of grill do you own and appox. use of each as a percentage. For instance, if you use your charcoal grill 50% of the time, and gas 35% and smoker the other 15% of the time, not time spent grilling on it, but usage.

I thought about this question after reading the thread posted by Chris about the Weber survey.

For me:
Charcoal: Weber OTP 50-60%
Gas: Weber Genesis 25-35% for grilling, however, I use the side burner to light my chimney 100% of the time.
Smoker: Weber Smokey Mt. 20-25%
Portable: Weber Q: Less than 5%

platinum015_zps70b3b86c.jpg

Last edited:
Since I bought my new Performer in March it's my go-to for everything except briskets and butts. I also added the rotisserie so that makes its usage even higher. Very rarely do I fire up the Summit gasser anymore, butt when I bought it 5-6 years ago it was before I bought my first kettle and didn't know any better.

My performer probably gets 60%, 26.75 gets 35%, my 18.5 gets used one or twice a year camping and my other little grills hardly get touched.

At home I primarily use my Primo Oval XL, except when trying new competition recipes, cook times, new meats (or suppliers thereof, for instance), etc.

For the portables I have many, which facilitates high-volume cooking as well as the ability to tailor different woods, temps, times, etc:

3 26.75's (two of them with a Smoke-EZ smoker attachment); we take however many are needed
1 22.5" with a Cajun Bandit smoker attachment, Cajun Bandit Stacker and a Cajun Bandit rotisserie
1 Weber Jumbo Joe

Of all these I think I split my time in this way:

Home
- Primo...70%
- Weber 26.75...15%
- Weber 22.5...15%

Comps or catering:

26.75...70%
22.5...30%

The Jumbo Joe is my portable stove for sauces, beans, etc, or for a quick sear if needed on something.

BTW, someone had asked me not long ago why I had so many portables and not one big one. The aforementioned reason about flexibility was a big one for me, but also I haven't a place for a pit and I refuse to push around a 900+ lb insulated pit...lol. My house is in Suburbia and we haven't alleys or an easy, wide gate or path the backyard. So, everything must be portable enough that anyone helping me could move the pieces around without hurting themselves.

Last edited:
I use my performer 90 percent of the time and my 22.5 smoker 10 percent at home and I use my 22.5 OTG 100 percent of the time at the camper. No propane at all for me.

No propane here, right now as the WSM has not arrived the 1990 performer handles it all. started with the chimney. I have a big kettle burner for hot water when sweet corn and salt potatoes are in season.
David, thanks for this thread I was looking at your avitar and was going to ask you what grill you used most!
Al
And around a screened in pool no less....sweet

Last edited:
No propane. Performer gets about 55% use, my OTS with rotisserie attached about 10%, my OTG about 3%, my WSM 30% and the smokey joe about 2%.

I bought my Performer about 4 years ago (if memory serves). Since that time, the Kenmore gasser has seen little action. In fact, I don't think I've used it in two years. I need to just cut the cord and put it on Craigslist. The performer is used 90% of the time, with the WSM covering the other 10.

I have been a Weber man for many years. Have the gas silver, WSM, 18.5" kettle and the smokey joe. Last year I bought a friend and neighbor the Char-Grill Pro Deluxe. Albertson's had them on sale for $99. Ended up buying one for myself. Probably shouldn't admit this here but it has become about the only grill I use now. Has the large raised top rack, can adjust the charcoal height and has cast iron grates. This thing does it all and cooks very good. I can start out by smoking something while also grilling something else and raise the charcoal grate up to sear. Does not take much charcoal to heat.

Thanks guys... I wife just thought I had too many. Lol

22 WSM
28 WSM
22 Weber grill (old but my favorite)
SJ... Old, used only start chimney
SJ... New green, not used yet. It will be my baby WSM.
Newest toy arrived today. Craycourt grates. Plan to use them tomorrow night.

Well, before I got my Performer all I had was the Spirit, and dad gave that to me since he had a Weber. The Spirit was free to him though, he got it for a safe driving award from UPS.

Anywho, here is my lineup. Been using the Spirit due to time constraints a lot more recently compared to when I first for the Performer.

Performer - 50%
Spirit - 30%
mini-WSM - 20%
Brinkmann Electric - 0%
Smokey Joe Silver 0% (It's still in the box waiting to be used somewhere and somehow)

18 1/2" WSM 25%
22 1/2" WSM 25%
22 1/2" OTG 50%
26 3/4" WSM 0% (I just got it!)
Genesis S-330 0% (I just mothballed it in my garage!)

Back