Kind of stuck, wondering if anyone else had this issue.

J Hicks

My display lights up, but I have no text on it. I get 2 lights at Green and Red. If I press the left button the yellow turns on. It is connected via WiFi and is communicating. If you look at the screenshot of the software, when the yellow LED is on, that is the yellow on the graph. I double and triple checked the solder, I can't see anyting wrong with it. Maybe I am missing something simple...like a probe has to be plugged in for the display to work. I am powering it off the rPi power supply until I get it running. When I plugged in a probe from an old thermometer it shows up in the software and shows the temp, but I still get no display. I would love to get this going so I can more on to the RD3 portion.

Pictures added below

If there is a better way to post pictures, please let me know. I don't use forums too much and never to post pictures.

Thank you in advanced for any and all help. So far the information I have gathered from this forum has been awesome.

~Jumbie

Last edited:
Heatermeter%20screenshot_zpsi4xpmt7x.png
[/URL] [/IMG]

Last edited:
did you adjust the LCD contrast pot? (blue thing on the edge of the board)

Yes I did. I went minimum to maximum. It is really odd. Everything seems to be working but the display.

When it is connected to my network I can even do fan adjustments and see the probes (which I bought all 4 of them today) as being there. I don't know what is going on.

The solder joints on the LCD header seem like they might have some issues, particularly on the left side... or it could just be shadows/reflections in the photo. It's the outer six on both sides you are concerned with, the ones that are labeled

I'll reflow them again.

Good thing is, I know the HM works. It talks with the software and I can control everything. I can even dim the display. I have to either have a bad solder joint that I can't find or a maybe a bad display chip. Either way, it's fixable.

the traces on the LCD board are kinda small and delicate, I've seen people break them before. You can check continuity (with power off) between the two headers on the LCD board to see if a trace got damaged, add a jumper to fix if that is the case.
The data for the LCD (and LED's) is passed through the shift register IC, so check that too... Do all of your LED's function properly btw?

I can turn the LEDs on and off through the software. I can't see the screen and don't know what "menu" I'm on. I did t set up them up in the SW yet, it is all mostly default.

Time to get the darn meter out.

Double checked my soldering again this morning, it looks all good. Didn't have time to meter each run yet. Groan.

Still haven't gotten around to getting the display, but I did get my thermocouple and my cooking probes. Got them plugged in and everything is registering on my HM page. All 3 probes show the same temp and the thermo shows if 1 degree warmer. I think I will get the blower setup to see if that is working too.

Can someone tell me what the menu's on the screen are so I can still mess with this until I get a new display?? Thank you all. Have a great weekend.

If you have access to the web UI then you have access to all of the settings on the LCD and a ton more, no need to navigate the HM menu on the LCD, other than perhaps knowing the left button will toggle on/off lid mode.

Got the blower plugged in, it works. I ordered a new display and the servo today. So far, everything on this works but the display. I hate it, but love the fact that it is running.

Side note, for some reason, probe one turns off. Will have to mess around and see why this is.

Well, it isn't the display that is bad. I realize lived it today and same results.... Guess I should really do a little more digging. Besides that, everything works.

Check to see if any consecutive pads are shorted on the lcd. Also check the shift register. If all else fails send it to me and I will dive in.

Check to see if any consecutive pads are shorted on the lcd. Also check the shift register. If all else fails send it to me and I will dive in.

I planned on checking it tomorrow, but people suck at work so I gotta go get them caught up. After that, it's on!

And thanks JB.

Back