Kettle setup for kabobs using bricks

Chris E

TVWBB Pro
I've been wanting to make a "long box" grill for shish kabob grilling but I was bored this weekend and setup this rig on my weber OTG using firebricks and the lower grate from my WSM. you could use a second coal grate as well. Basically I used firebrick to raise a second coal grate 4" above the normal one. Then I used more firebricks to create walls around the charcoal and serve as a rest for the skewers. I was doing a miso yakitori chicken this time around which requires a lot of turning and basting and it worked perfectly over the hot coals without sticking to a grill grate or making grill marks. The Raichlen flat skewers laid on the bricks so you can easily position each side down and the length was such that I could use the handles to get quarter turns as well.

yakitory%20flip.jpg

Here's a picture of the setup I used extra pieces of brick to "stabilize" the skewer racks but probably didn't need it. Not sure I'd do this with bamboo skewers unless they were completely soaked through with water. You can position the spacing of the bricks/coals to match your skewers to the food takes up all the space over the coals.

yakitori%20served.jpg

Great looking cook!
I've done yakitori on the kettle using 2 long angle irons running across the top of the kettle.

Great looking cook!
I've done yakitori on the kettle using 2 long angle irons running across the top of the kettle.
I thought about that bud didn't have any angle iron hanging around. Besides my wife says I over engineer everything. :)

I thought about that bud didn't have any angle iron hanging around. Besides my wife says I over engineer everything. :)

This is how I used to do yakitori until when I recently welded together a dedicated, 3-foot long yakitori grill.

P1070269_zps759dc0ae.jpg

It is very interesting to see all of the different ways a kettle can be used and modified.

It is very interesting to see all of the different ways a kettle can be used and modified.

For me half the fun of cooking is devising different ways to set up my kettle and now I have another!

Great looking Kabobs by the way!

Back