Kettle Inflation???

I don't begrudge Weber for raising their prices, even if a $239 kettle may be a tough sell. I think things are colliding in an unfavorable direction for Weber and other grill makers as they face higher material, labor and transportation costs (that they HAVE to pass on) at the same time as consumers are having to retrench with gas soaring over $5.00 per gallon - with more expected to come - and higher prices on food and everything else.

I recently posted a well restored Weber kettle with lots of new parts and features the "Premium" does not have. I dropped it to $135 (as low as I am willing to go) but have had virtually no interest. I don't think this is a time people are as apt to be looking for fun stuff like a kettle grill as compared to a year ago when they were flush with "stimulus" money.

I suspect come August, there will be some really good prices on patio furniture, etc. And this winter, I might be looking to upgrade my Masterbuilt 560 to a 1050 .

I've found that the best sales on anything seasonal is right after the season. For example grill sales are best in late fall and don't get much better in the winter. The prices do drop some more on stuff that doesn't move but you lose lots of choices as popular models sell out completely.

My E6 has gone up $250 in less than a year here in Canada.
I hmmm'd and haaa'd, glad I bought what I have when I did.....everything should last as long as I do.
1654785894329.png

I've found that the best sales on anything seasonal is right after the season. For example grill sales are best in late fall and don't get much better in the winter. The prices do drop some more on stuff that doesn't move but you lose lots of choices as popular models sell out completely.

This year will be different. Retailers have stocked up on all the items that sold well during the pandemic. And now consumer spending has shifted and they're stuck with large inventories.

I would guess we start seeing some good sale prices in another month, maybe late July , early August. As I posted above, PK Grills has already started marking down products.

I'm wondering if this over stocked situation will filter down to things like charcoal, accessories, etc .

During the pandemic, the seasoning business was great. People like Kosmos and Meat Church saw their business boom. They've got to see a bit of a dropoff as people start eating out more and are not doing as much cooking in the backyard. Mrs Dollar and I have spent more money eating out in the past two months, as we have for the past two years.

Tell me about it Jon......
This is why mine didn't come with a table..........
It sits conveniently beside my performer....1 table for 2 bbq's.

I have certainly noticed that Thermoworks and ThermoPro as well have been running a lot of sales. I have to wonder how many Thermapen One's have sold at the original high asking price since they are having sales almost weekly now.

I did notice that PK had to back off and Recteq dropped the price on several models, particularly the entry-level Bullseye which I think had to be a tough sell at $499. The lower $399 is more realistic, but with rising costs that we have noted, you have to wonder how long they can keep it there.

Back