Kettle Fried Chicken

Wilmer Cogburn

TVWBB Fan
Tried kettle fried chicken (KFC) yesterday and I am extremely impressed! New family favorite.

I took the 8 bone in skin on chicken thighs and dry brined them. I used sea salt vs kosher salt as is what we had. Sat in fridge uncovered for about 8-9 hrs.

Used Lefty's Fish-n-Chicken Mix.

3/4 cups Lefty’s, 3 tbsp corn starch, 8 thighs. No liquid. Mix the starch well into the mix.

Dredged all 8 making sure to work the mix into the chicken. After all 8 were dredged, I did a 2nd dredge.

After dredge, they sat in fridge maybe 30-45 minutes while grill came on line. Weber Performer with Vortex. Kingsford Blue with Royal Oak Lump on top of the blue. Indirect with the Vortex. I think I saw dome temp 475-500F.

20 min skin up
20 min skin down
15-20 min skin up

I’m impressed! Nice crispy coating/skin. So easy and no oil to deal with. Our new favorite fried chicken!

Try it! I stole this recipe from another BBQ site.
IMG_7758.JPGIMG_7759.JPGIMG_7768.JPGIMG_7771.JPG

Looks great Wilmer. KFC is one of Barbs and my favorites. So many different ways to make it. Our Jumbo Joe is pretty well dedicated to doing those. We always watch for chicken thighs on sale. This week had bone in skin on for $.97lb.
Now have 30 in the freezer in four packs just waiting.

101_7705.JPG

Tried kettle fried chicken (KFC) yesterday and I am extremely impressed! New family favorite.

I took the 8 bone in skin on chicken thighs and dry brined them. I used sea salt vs kosher salt as is what we had. Sat in fridge uncovered for about 8-9 hrs.

Used Lefty's Fish-n-Chicken Mix.

3/4 cups Lefty’s, 3 tbsp corn starch, 8 thighs. No liquid. Mix the starch well into the mix.

Dredged all 8 making sure to work the mix into the chicken. After all 8 were dredged, I did a 2nd dredge.

After dredge, they sat in fridge maybe 30-45 minutes while grill came on line. Weber Performer with Vortex. Kingsford Blue with Royal Oak Lump on top of the blue. Indirect with the Vortex. I think I saw dome temp 475-500F.

20 min skin up
20 min skin down
15-20 min skin up

I’m impressed! Nice crispy coating/skin. So easy and no oil to deal with. Our new favorite fried chicken!

Try it! I stole this recipe from another BBQ site.
View attachment 95102View attachment 95103View attachment 95104View attachment 95105
Nice looking groceries there Wilmer!

BBQ Weber Kettle Fried Chicken - KFC Weber Smokey Mountain Forum
Ingredients:
Dry Brine: recipe follows

½ cup Diamond Krystal Kosher Salt
2 tablespoons baking powder

Chicken:

8 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on or any chicken bone-in, skin-on parts of your choice
¾ cup Lefty’s Fish ‘n Chicken Mix
3 tablespoons corn starch
NO LIQUID

Directions:

Dry Brine:

Kosher salt only if seasoning under skin. Kosher salt–baking powder mixture if seasoning skin.

Meat Only/Under Skin:
If you are seasoning under the skin or if you're brining directly onto the flesh of a skinless piece of chicken, kosher salt only.

Seasoning the Skin: If seasoning the skin, use the kosher salt–baking powder mixture (1/2 cup kosher salt to 2 tablespoons baking powder) for optimal browning and crisping.

Refrigerated Resting Time: Transfer the chicken to a wire rack set in a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and allow to rest in refrigerator at least 12 hours and up to 3 days.

Chicken Dredge:

Mix Lefty’s and corn starch thoroughly in a bowl. NO LIQUID

Dredge chicken parts thoroughly in dry mix – twice!

Allow to sit in refrigerator another 30-45 minutes.

Off-set grill or smoker:

20 minutes skin up

20 minutes skin down

15-20 minutes skin up

Chicken is done when: white meat registers 150 degrees. Dark meat registers 170 degrees. Chicken skin should be crispy.

Dry Brine Birds: Turkey, Chicken Liz Clayman, Serious Eats

A dry brine can be simply sprinkled over the entire surface of a whole bird (including inside the cavity or on the underside of a spatchcocked bird); you can also season under the skin.

Directions: Dry-Brine Type: Kosher salt only if seasoning under skin. Kosher salt–baking powder mixture if seasoning skin.

Brine Meat Only/Under Skin:
If you are seasoning under the skin or if you're brining directly onto the flesh of a skinless piece of chicken, such as a cutlet, we recommend a basic kosher salt dry brine, kosher salt only.

Brining the Skin: If seasoning the skin, use the kosher salt–baking powder mixture (1/2 cup kosher salt to 2 tablespoons baking powder) for optimal browning and crisping.

Refrigerated Resting Time:
Transfer the chicken to a wire rack set in a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and allow to rest in refrigerator at least 12 hours and up to 3 days.

Back