Kettle fried chicken

Very cool Al. I would think the key would be to make sure the batter is wet, otherwise you end up with grilled flour on the chicken. A spray of oil on the outside seems required, as you mentioned. Will keep it in mind...
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
Very cool Al. I would think the key would be to make sure the batter is wet, otherwise you end up with grilled flour on the chicken. A spray of oil on the outside seems required, as you mentioned. Will keep it in mind...
icon_biggrin.gif

That's exactly right Gary, the batter MUST be wet. I tried this yesterday, and where I had too much flour, the chicken burned. It also made for very hard batter.

I will do this again, maybe today, and see how it goes...

J

Similarly, Shake & Baked boneless, butterflied pork chops started indirect and finished direct to crisp them up, slathered w/ bbq on a bun nearly beats pork tenderloin...

Yep thanks for the idea I cut up a fryer last night and did nothing but season the parts and follow directions on the package and it was a large hit with the family. I can already envision some variations on the theme.
icon_smile.gif

i like fried chicken but hate the mess it creates indoors along with smelling up the house,definately going to try this method

I thought this sounded familiar, so dug around in my "to try" files. Sure enough, I found something very similar on the Dizzy Pig web site.

Looks like we could "grill" these on a WSM too!

JimT

I did a similar 'fried chicken' recipe with Panko Bread crumbs. Works great, and tasted "fried". I wanted to try the batter version because it looks like KFC.

Tried the recipe today. Brined in a buttermilk/salt/sugar/herbs Du Provence. Turned out great, did 400 indirect for 50 minutes with Hasselback Potatoes, added asparagus for the last 5 minutes.

You guys are in violation of the TVWB No pics, it didn't happen rule!

I can help though, just send the leftovers my way and I think I can convince the judges to let you off with a warning.....this time.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Shaun R:
You guys are in violation of the TVWB No pics, it didn't happen rule!

I can help though, just send the leftovers my way and I think I can convince the judges to let you off with a warning.....this time.
icon_wink.gif

You really think there are any Left Overs?

Originally posted by Al Ramirez III:
Glad to see this is still going
icon_smile.gif
Heck Al, at the rate it's going, it might get its own Forum.
icon_biggrin.gif
I haven't done this "YET" but I will soon. Very soon.

I am going to attempt this tonight. I was not able to find any fried chicken batter @ Wallyworld, so I am going to make my own. If it is a success, I will post up pics later. Thanks for the idea Al!

Originally posted by Chuck Simon:
I am going to attempt this tonight. I was not able to find any fried chicken batter @ Wallyworld, so I am going to make my own. If it is a success, I will post up pics later. Thanks for the idea Al!

My Walmart has Zaterains' and Louisiana brand. In fact for the Chicken Fry they only offer the larger box not the smaller plastic packages. It's on the same aisle as the baking supplies right next to the shake n bake.

Originally posted by Brad Benski:
Originally posted by Chuck Simon:

My Walmart has Zaterains' and Louisiana brand. In fact for the Chicken Fry they only offer the larger box not the smaller plastic packages. It's on the same aisle as the baking supplies right next to the shake n bake.

They had Zatarain's there too, but it was for fish fry. I didn't know if it would have been the same. I wound up going to Meijer and bought Drake's Crispy Fry Mix It was not too bad. The chicken came out pretty good. I need to find a batter with a better flavor, or go with my original plan and make my own next time. Thanks again Al for the great idea!!!!!

CIMG5044.jpg~original

CIMG5045.jpg~original

Back