Kettle fried chicken

Jeff Powers

TVWBB Fan
Ok...so I did this yesterday with another brand of batter. I spiced it up to my liking. Because there is no "oil" you have to add some. I sprayed evoo on mine as it cooked. Next time, and there will be one, I will brush lightly with melted butter.

On....




Plated with some home made red skin on mashers and white wine gravy. Side of roasted green beans.



I also took the skin off, maybe if I left it on it would have provided enough juice/fat to the coating without having to spray evoo on it??
 

Michael C.

TVWBB Guru
What an Awesome Concept!!! Crispy fried texture on your chicken, without the frying Grease!!! Did you detect any smoke taste to the chicken? Anyways, I think I want to try this too, maybe with a full cut up chicken! Thanks for the post! Looks very tasty!
 

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
Originally posted by Don Cash:
Awesome post, Al!

That chicken looks phenomenal. So good in fact that I'm making this tomorrow night. I've got a whole cut up chicken soaking in a buttermilk brine right now. I couldn't find the Louisiana brand mix but did find House Autry mix. It has the same exact directions as the Louisiana so it should work fine. Hope mine turns out as good as yours looks. Thanks again!
Don - the House Autry breaders are all great, especially the seafood and the medium hot. Do they still carry the biscuit mix down your way? That's excellent stuff!
 

Shaun R

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Don Cash:
Awesome post, Al!

That chicken looks phenomenal. So good in fact that I'm making this tomorrow night. I've got a whole cut up chicken soaking in a buttermilk brine right now. I couldn't find the Louisiana brand mix but did find House Autry mix. It has the same exact directions as the Louisiana so it should work fine. Hope mine turns out as good as yours looks. Thanks again!
I'm with you Don, I am doing this real soon. Thanks again Al!
 

Wolgast

TVWBB Olympian
Well here is another beliver in this way of cooking chicken *have to try this out*

Thx for sharing
 

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
Originally posted by Jon Des.:
Don - the House Autry breaders are all great, especially the seafood and the medium hot. Do they still carry the biscuit mix down your way? That's excellent stuff!
Yeah, we love House Autry breaders. The Medium Hot is great for fried oysters...but "biscuit mix"? Come on, Jon. No self respecting Southerner uses a mix to make biscuits.
 

Eric H

TVWBB Fan
Autry breaders

I just had to say this was great, I would never though of cooking it on the grill, but it works, I also used the autry breader as its all i could find, thanks so much, has to be healthier than takeout even with spraying it with a quick shot of oil..

Eric
 

Al Ramirez III

TVWBB Member
I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. My next step is to do boneless chicken breasts in the chicken fry to make crispy chicken sandwiches.
 

Bob Sample

TVWBB Diamond Member
Well I've looked and looked but I can't find batter mix to save my life, I guess Canadians aren't into southern fried chicken, so I'm going from scratch. Trying this out tomorrow I'll let you know how it works.
 

Wolgast

TVWBB Olympian
If you just want a crust Bob we swede´s always dip in a 3 step mix:
1) flour(with salt/pepper mixed in it)
2) beaten egg
3) bread crumps/corn meal

Dont really know how it will turn out on the kettle though.

But in a pan butter fryed its fantastic!
 

JSMcdowell

TVWBB All-Star
Mr. Allingham, I love this site. Don't know what I'd do without it.

Al,
Never would have thought to try this. Thanks! Looks great and now I have something to do with my Saturday afternoon.
 

Bob Sample

TVWBB Diamond Member
Originally posted by Wolgast:
If you just want a crust Bob we swede´s always dip in a 3 step mix:
1) flour(with salt/pepper mixed in it)
2) beaten egg
3) bread crumps/corn meal

Dont really know how it will turn out on the kettle though.But in a pan butter fryed its fantastic!
Thats what I normally do with fish when I pan fry them. Going to try a buttermilk recipe.I'll throw the chicken in the buttermilk and herbs tonight and bread them just before I throw them on the kettle.
 

Shaun R

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Shaun, this would work awesome!
YEAH Al, we NEED more DETAILS!
Please tell us the batter mixture ingreds!
Are you using the 'lousianna chicken fry IN the batter ?
And what else...?
You season the she-cone` then dredge in batter then roll in dry...
OH-EM-GEE!!! I think you got everyone wannin' KFC!
It All Looks AWESOME!
now please answer our questions so we can eet some of this greatness! :D
You are right Jim, I was thinking one of those rackes standing in a pan to catch the drippings would work great. I may be making these tomorrow. :cool:
 

JSMcdowell

TVWBB All-Star
Just made it. WOW. Mr ramirez...... Please let us know what your next recipe is.

Blows kfc away and I did not even get the right batter. Pics to come.
 

Top