Kettle fried chicken

I had better results on my infrared grill tonight by using direct heat, going a little lighter on the dry mix coating, and spraying the pieces with canola as soon as they went on the grill and another liberal coat about 30 minutes in and a light coat at 45 minutes. Not 100% consistent, but much better than my first attempt. I'm also starting to believe my drumstick rack is not optimal for use with the infrared grill when attempting to fry this way. I think the skin needs more horizontal contact with the infrared heat to fry more consistently.

Progress...

I did drums and bone in breasts on the kettle this weekend. Went light on the dry coating, cooked direct for 2-3 mins each side then indirect til done.....came out much better as well...

This site rocks! Great input everyone....

Originally posted by Sean H:
I've made this recipe three times. The first time it was perfect. The second time, I had the "hard shell" problem. The latest, which was a couple days ago, seemed to be a mix of the two.

I have a theory that two factors may be making the batter into a heavy shell. First, if you're battering to heavily. Second, if you don't spray enough oil on the chicken during cooking.

I'm thinking, as an experiment, of adding a little bit of oil into the batter next time around. I think that may be the trick to preventing the components of the batter from bonding into a shell. Plus, it provides a more even distribution of oil (and I don't have to open the lid during cooking, letting out precious heat in the process).

Just curious if you tried it with oil in the batter, going to try this tonight and I wanted to do it without lifting the lid.

Thanks,
Eric

Al (or anyone else), can I ask a stupid question? I tried this by dipping the chicken in the batter, then directly into the coating mix. After just a few pieces, the coating mix was coagulated from the excess batter. Thus, my stupid question: Do you guys dip the chicken in batter and then let it sit on a dripping rack or something to get rid of the excess batter before going into the coating mix? Thanks for clarifying.

I'm really liking this thread, seems like a great recipe with tons of positive feedback. I love fried chicken (who doesn't right?) and i like the idea of not submerging it in frying oil. Gonna have to do this next weekend...
icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Mickey:
Al (or anyone else), can I ask a stupid question? I tried this by dipping the chicken in the batter, then directly into the coating mix. After just a few pieces, the coating mix was coagulated from the excess batter. Thus, my stupid question: Do you guys dip the chicken in batter and then let it sit on a dripping rack or something to get rid of the excess batter before going into the coating mix? Thanks for clarifying.

straight from wet to dry is how I have done it in the past. It will combine a bit.

So I tried my own version of this tonight because A.) I can't get the Louisiana chicken fry here and B.) I saw it their mix has MSG. I mixed 1/2 cup unbleached flour, 1/4 cup corn flour, 1/4 cup barley flour, 1 TBS of salt,1 cup of corn meal, and 1 TBS of rub ( I make Steven Raichlen's memphis rub).

Washed the chicken in an egg and milk wash and rolled the chicken in the dry mix and grilled indirect at 450 for 45 minutes. I followed the previous posts and sprayed the chicken with PAM 1/2 way thru and flipped em. Sarah thought it was great but I found it a bit crunchy. Next time I will try less corn meal or maybe medium corn meal versus coarse.

Pics to follow.

Eric

So I have been messing with my own version of this recipe, cut back on the corn meal, added another TSB of rub. But tonight I added another staple from this site, finished the cook by slathering some #5 on for the last ten minutes and um yep, a winner. I love this site,
thanks.

Finally got around to making some KFC. Wow what was I waiting for. Turned out fantastic. Used louisiana chicken fry. Brined chicken for two hours. Sprayed chicken with pam a little before putting on grill to insure it was all moist.

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

Originally posted by Eric Michaud:
So I have been messing with my own version of this recipe, cut back on the corn meal, added another TSB of rub. But tonight I added another staple from this site, finished the cook by slathering some #5 on for the last ten minutes and um yep, a winner. I love this site,
thanks.

Do you mind sharing your brine info? I am thinking of making it this weekend and I would like more info. I am going to go to the store and see what batter I can find. Sounds great!

Do you mind sharing your brine info? I am thinking of making it this weekend and I would like more info. I am going to go to the store and see what batter I can find. Sounds great!

Hello Ryan;
I actually have never used a brine on this recipe, my experimentation has been more on making my own batter rather than buy one. Sorry it's not what you're looking for. Good luck this weekend and let us know how it turns out.

Back