Kettle fried chicken tenders and chips

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
Right before I started to make dinner tonight my family proclaimed none of them wanted what I was preparing to make. They said they were craving fried chicken tenders.
I was taken back to when I first joined this site and there was this awesome CI skillet fried chicken strips on the kettle post. I said then we don't do fried chicken very often but the next time I did it, it would be on the kettle. Tonight become that night.
Used a buttermilk/hot sauce/seasoning wet base, then into a flour/backing power/seasoning dry coating. Started with some sliced potato chip/fries. IMG_20200930_193536.jpgIMG_20200930_193544.jpgIMG_20200930_193522.jpgIMG_20200930_193527.jpgIMG_20200930_193516.jpg
After I fried the potatoes I put them in the over at 425 while I fried the chicken, it worked like a "double fry". I wish I would have got a few more pictures of the finished potatoes and the chicken cut.
The family's verdict was that was the best fried tenders chicken I have ever made.
I give this site credit for this cook, not just to do the fried chicken on the kettle, but also to know what to through together for the wet base and the dry dredge. I will attempt to recreate the same cook in six months when the family is craving it again.

You guys gotta try Panko Coated chicken strips!
  1. Cut chicken breast into strips.
  2. Heat oil in large pan to 375.
  3. Dip strips into seasoned flour.
  4. Dip floured strips into egg/milk mix.
  5. Dip strips into Panko.
  6. Put strips in oil-filled pan...keep temp on high.
  7. Fry for 7-8 mins.
  8. Remove. Salt and season as desired. Dip in your choice of dipping sauce.

You guys gotta try Panko Coated chicken strips!
  1. Cut chicken breast into strips.
  2. Heat oil in large pan to 375.
  3. Dip strips into seasoned flour.
  4. Dip floured strips into egg/milk mix.
  5. Dip strips into Panko.
  6. Put strips in oil-filled pan...keep temp on high.
  7. Fry for 7-8 mins.
  8. Remove. Salt and season as desired. Dip in your choice of dipping sauce.
Chris,
Your above recipe Is almost identical to my go to recipe for more than a decade. It is a great recipe as well. No panko in this house today, but had buttermilk so I just went for it!

Looks Tasty!
Love having chicken tenders and jojo's.
We don't fry often ut when we do it is only outside. Comes from years of frying fish while living at the coast.

Looks Tasty!
We don't fry often ut when we do it is only outside. Comes from years of frying fish while living at the coast.
I totally went on a deep dive to find the conversation about about your jojos, I found them here

I will be doing jojo's when I make these chicken tenders again, thanks for reminding me of doing those!

Looks Tasty!
I told my wife that I forgot about wanting to attempt jojo's with the fried chicken tenders and that lead to breaking out the CI Skillet and attempting them on Saturday night with some bbq chicken in the WSM. I know most recipes call for wedges, but the ones from my wife's childhood where large cubed potatoes so I went that was. Everyone except my wife thought the were out of this world, my wife said they were close but not the same as her childhood favorite. Ours were too crispy, the childhood ones were softer both on the inside and outside. I don't think it will be for a while, but the next time I attempt these, I will pre-boil the potato cubes first so they are softer inside and then I will keep them in the oil a shorter time. IMG_20201004_085127.jpgIMG_20201003_194941.jpg

Back