Keep your eye's peeled

Here's One

This Platinum just popped up for $100. I bet it is a Father's Day cast off:

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/app/d/weber-grill/6621494446.html

33kvvw0.jpg

It is pretty far or it, too, would be tempting. These grills are easier to restore because there is no frame rust to contend with or frame painting required. Of course, the cabinet will be rusty as you can see hinted at by the bottom that shows under the stainless doors.

Yep, those damn cabinets will always get you. By now, a guy would thing that Weber would have figured out how to prevent them from rusting out so bad and so quick.
It is a very interesting grill, but that cabinet basically makes it a parts grill.

Bruce,

Give me a chance with my upcoming overhaul of the Platinum I already have. I think when I am done it will be as close to a bullet-proof classic Genesis as you are going to find - and hopefully look kind of cool, too:cool:!

Yup, I really wished Weber didn't cut corners when it came to the cabinet parts. I would've preferred a closed cabinet on the Platinum C I just rehabbed but opted for the open cart instead because it was easier to do and probably cheaper? And my other 2 gassers are open cart so it would've been nice if I had a closed cart one as well.

This looks pleasantly clean inside and out based on the pics that I've seen. Asking $175, which is great for him if it will truly command that price but I have no interest at that price point. It's a '96 with 2 y/o replacement grates and bars. In your opinion could a clean but not a restored unit be valued at $175?

It didn't last long (a few hours), but I saw a brand new, never used, Weber Spirit (2 burner) for $65.00 on Craigslist! The grill had been sitting outside - unused - for a year or more. I was going to post a link, but no such luck.

This Platinum just popped up for $100. I bet it is a Father's Day cast off:

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/app/d/weber-grill/6621494446.html

33kvvw0.jpg

It is pretty far or it, too, would be tempting. These grills are easier to restore because there is no frame rust to contend with or frame painting required. Of course, the cabinet will be rusty as you can see hinted at by the bottom that shows under the stainless doors.

It's missing a wing but otherwise looks good

This looks pleasantly clean inside and out based on the pics that I've seen. Asking $175, which is great for him if it will truly command that price but I have no interest at that price point. It's a '96 with 2 y/o replacement grates and bars. In your opinion could a clean but not a restored unit be valued at $175?

This is a classic example of a cleaned up and flipped grill vs a rehabbed and flipped grill. When most of us rehab these things, they are taken down to a bare frame, all visible rust, corrosion and peeling paint is removed and everything from the frame to cook box, and end caps are all repainted if needed. The fire box is taken down to bare aluminum. THe shelves are cleaned up or replaced. The grates are either completely cleaned up or replaced. The flavorizer bars, the same as well as the burner tubes. The lid is cleaned down to shiny porcelain both outside and typically inside to the point you can see your reflection in it. Then it is all put back together, tested, tuned, wiped down and put up for sale. Sometimes, I wonder why we do it. :)

Well, for me, the fathers day grill buying was a bust. I expected to see a bunch pop up but very few did. I did miss out by about 10 minutes on one free curb pickup, but there were very few to hit CL or FB in my area that would have been rehab candidates.

I don't expect any real big surges in grills hitting FB or CL for a while now. Once Labor Day gets here and the big box stores and hardware stores start trying to get rid of their summer inventory, then we will start to see more. I think for now, most of the new grill buyers have pulled the trigger already. At least, I still have enough inventory for a few more grills.

I finally scored a Fathers day cast off. I saw one about 90 miles away and it said free OLD weber propane 3 burner grill and needs grates. Nothing else, no picture. Well, since it was on the way to my parents home, I decided to take the chance. I got there and it was a Genesis 1000 redhead. But, there are a couple things that puzzle me about it. First, the serial number started with "EE" indicating it was one of the last of the Genesis 1000's and made in 1999. But, it had wood tables like the older ones. They were painted grey however. I thought Weber went to Durawood in the mid to late 90's. The wood looks original and it has a wood handle as well that looks original.

Anyway, it is a redhead and the only thing really wrong with it other than some surface rust on the frame where it bolts to the cook box is that the stops on the end caps were both broken off. I have seen the cook box break where the stops contact it, but haven't before seen where the stops on the end caps have broken. No matter, I have plenty of spare end caps. I was expecting a parts grill at best, but it looks like I wound up with a good base for a restore. For Free.

With that being said, the 4th of July is next week and with the summer getting along, you might see some deals on new grills that will be good enough to get people to trade up and cast off the old Gennesis for a discounted shiny one. Hopefully, there will be some good CL and FB postings for rehab worthy grills.

Last edited:
Yup, some Targets have been clearing out the new Spirt IIs already ($101 for the 210 and $212 for the 310) and people have been buying them in droves so yah, expect to see some grills on CL/FB/Offerup/Letgo.

Well, heck, if they are selling new grills for that price, that pretty much kills the rehab market.

I finally scored a Fathers day cast off. I saw one about 90 miles away and it said free OLD weber propane 3 burner grill and needs grates. Nothing else, no picture. Well, since it was on the way to my parents home, I decided to take the chance. I got there and it was a Genesis 1000 redhead. But, there are a couple things that puzzle me about it. First, the serial number started with "EE" indicating it was one of the last of the Genesis 1000's and made in 1999. But, it had wood tables like the older ones. They were painted grey however. I thought Weber went to Durawood in the mid to late 90's. The wood looks original and it has a wood handle as well that looks original.

Bruce,
My first Weber was a hurricane wreck that was put out on the curb back near me in ‘04. It was my first “restore” although I knew next to nothing about restoring grills at the time. I did have fun, though, and one of the things I did was replace some of the painted gray wood slats. Even a beat up old Weber was a huge leap from the “flame thrower with a grate” trash grill I had been using.

I think that Weber went from stained wood to painted wood for a short time and then to the plastic durawood. Some people have mistakenly referred to the painted wood as durawood, but it is not, it is still just wood. It was probably cheaper and easier to manufacture or maybe they thought it looked more modern.

I think you could sand and stain those pieces if they are still in useable condition.

I think they are possibly re-usable, but I bought some of that 1x2" cedar stock that others had suggested, It is clearly thicker than the original boards, but a little sanding will get them close. Anyway, Since the grill is 1999 vintage, I think it came after they started using Durawood. Which is what surprised me. I would think that it was a transition from natural wood to durawood, but it seems to have come at the very end of the Genesis 1000 and after Durawood was introduced.

The slats certainly look original shape and size, so I don't think that someone replaced them at some point...plus the handle is wood and looks original. The grill also has the slide for the swing table which I thought came out at the same time as the durawood.

The guy I bought mine from purchased a Charbroil (if I remember correctly) for a replacement. He said something about returning it if it wasn't up to snuff. I encouraged him to check out the Q line of grills since he was downgrading.

Yup, some Targets have been clearing out the new Spirt IIs already ($101 for the 210 and $212 for the 310) and people have been buying them in droves so yah, expect to see some grills on CL/FB/Offerup/Letgo.

Yes I have already seen a few new Spirit showing up on CL. But Target never sold them that cheap down here. According to Brickseek the E210 is selling for $238 in my area.

Just grabbed a $30 E330 this morning. The guy even said it was a replaced by a new fathers day grill. It wasn't a weber. Some name that I was unfamiliar with.

Anyway, it has the typical 8 year old rust on the bottom panel. The sides and back didn't look too bad, but will surely require grinding, sanding and painting as well. It has the side burner. That makes it a 330 vs a 310, correct????

Grates are CI and appear to be salvageable. The flavo bars are still usable, but probably nearing the end of their run and I will for sure replace those.

Does it have a sear burner? That makes it a 330. Though I don't know if there was one made with a side burner and no sear burner

Back