Kansas City BBQ Sauces (retail)

Richard Batey

TVWBB Fan
For Christmas I was given a selection of BBQ sauces from Kansas City. They are each in 18 oz bottles. They are:
Gates (original classic)
Arthur Bryant's
Hayward's Pit

Only one I've tried (with WSM Boston Butt) is the Hayward's. Pretty good. Slight bit of heat to it.

Have you had these sauces? If you are going to use a commercial Kansas City BBQ sauce, what would you use?

Richard

Make my own to, but in a pinch Sweet Baby Rays or KC Masterpiece are good!
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K_Jordan:
When I go commercial, Dinosaur BBQ sauce. I usually make my own sauce. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You ain't kidding man - Dinosaur BBQ is good eats! Ordered about a dozen bottles a few years ago and then started using Stubb's BBQ sauce a little while after that. I like it - can pick it up locally and a bit on the lighter side vs the thick sweet stuff.

Richard, My favorite KC sauce is Three Little Pigs. Our website has more repeat orders for Three Little Pigs than any other sauce. Their Spicy Chipotle BBQ Sauce is Awesome.

I would also try the Buck Creek Line. These are my favorites and can be found in some stores around KC.

I have used both gates and bryant. Bryants was the better of the two imho.
I prefer to use Maulls which is a St. Louis sauce.

Will - thanks for responding with Kansas City BBQ Sauce info. My sister-in-law has family in the KC area so that's how I received the KC sauces. I'll mention the Three Little Pigs sauce to her.

Paul - will try the Arthur Bryant's sauce in the near future. Seems like I've seen it in some Florida grocery stores but I might be imagining that.

I normally do make my BBQ sauces.

Richard

Hey folks...

I am a big fan of KC BBQ and have found that my favourite for ribs and chicken has always been Gates. I absolutely love that stuff. Actually, I am in the process of ordering a case from KC as I am currently out. As for Arthur Bryant's, I haven't tried that on any of my product, but have eaten at Arthur's on a business trip to Fairfax. I cannot say enough about Gates though.

Back