Just so so butts

I'm really proud of my butts - they're my best thing. Made four for my granddaughter's school and they weren't my best. Somehow I got the temp wrong and took them off the heat to early. Had to oven them the next day. Not as good. So, are there ways you can get a too high temp by poking in the wrong place, maybe a pocket of hot fat or something?

photo.jpg

Since the butts didn't meet MY standards, I included that note. Not surprisingly, everyone loved them.

Last edited:
Mike;
That just proves that you are human (just like MOST of the rest of us:wsm:. Keep in mind that the very best hitters in baseball don't hit a home run every time up at bat!! So, it was just a double or a triple - I'll bet it still was good chow!!

Dale53

I think it might be the texture of the muscle in the butt. I have had variations in temps too so for fool proof butts I buy bone in and cook until I can twist out the bone with my fingers. Never had a problem doing it that way.
Clean bone = perfect cook, no probe reqired. There's lots of fat in a butt to keep it moist. I don't foil during the cook either.

Mike,

A butt is made up of a few different muscles so it is very possible for your probe to to get in between them, too close to a bone, or in a pocket of fat. When I used to leave a probe in sometimes I would notice the temp raising much faster than normal. I would replace the probe and it would be lower and a slower climb. Just one of the many reasons I don't check temps until a certain point nowadays.

What temp did you take them off at ?

Oh, and I love the sign. I'll be using that.

Everyone thought the meat s great, but what do they know!!??!! It's interesting what was said about pockets of fat - that makes sense to me. I was using a high heat method, and the probe read 180, but when I checked I put it n a couple places and it read 200. That's when I like to take them off. I don't foil until they're resting. They sat in the cooler for three hours, and when I went to pul them I found them quite tough. Fortunately, I wasn't serving them until the next day, so I could use the oven to get them done.

Back