Just showing off the ol' gal....

Tucker Moore

Spend some time cleaning up the wood and touching up the firebox on this little honey. She's all original - even the wood. Just needed a bit of a freshen up to make her presentable again. She's back at 100% and ready for another few decades of grillin'!

Someone was tossing her out several years ago, so we grabbed it and have been using it ever since. Finally decided to update things a bit, and wanted to give her a moment on the stage! Took a few pics to show you:

Attachments

• 20200926_165150.jpg
    20200926_165150.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200926_165204.jpg
    20200926_165204.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200926_165212.jpg
    20200926_165212.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200926_165213.jpg
    20200926_165213.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 77
Tucker, that's great you've kept that Gen 2 from becoming land fill fodder.
You have no idea what you've done to help me with a project of my own.
Pictures and info are pretty rare for the gen1 series of grills.
Below is my soon to be project to bring back a chocolate Gen 2 back to life. It's an early 1985 as well as I can tell by the serial number appears to be one of the first 14,000 made.
If you don't mind I'll send you a PM as I need a few measurements of the wood length on the side flip up and the width and thickness of the boards.
My boards were replaced with wood flooring.
The lid is pristine and very little surface rust in a few places on the frame.
Hope mine comes out as good as yours..

100_4500.JPG

100_4503.JPG

100_4504.JPG

Rich, I've never seen a control panel like yours. Pretty cool!
I did a thread documenting the restoration and upgrading my old Genesis grills.

There might be some info there that you may find helpful.

Gerry

Rich, I've never seen a control panel like yours. Pretty cool!
I did a thread documenting the restoration and upgrading my old Genesis grills.

There might be some info there that you may find helpful.

Gerry
Oh yeah, lots of great information I can use. Thanks for letting me know about your thread Gerry. My biggest problem will be the wood, I would like to use cedar and wide boards like the original, but have limited wood working tools. Actually people have said of my wood working skills is I make some of the prettiest and most expensive fire wood they have ever seen.
My Z brackets are in great shape so that's not an issue it's getting the right size lumber that will be hard to find here.

The side table slats are 3-1/2" wide, 15-1/4" long and 11/16" thick.
Use 3/4" thick pieces and no one will tell the difference.

I too have made some expensive saw dust and firewood.

Sorry Tucker for hijacking your thread.

Gerry

Hey Tucker,
While drooling over the pictures of your grill, I noticed that the "white walls" on the wheels of your grill are the most pristine I have ever seen. I (we) would love a detailed close up picture of your wheels to have as a "benchmark" photo of what those old wheels looked like.

Thanks in advance!
Gerry

Tucker,
Late to this party, but WOW what a beautiful grill! I love the really old Genesis grills like this one. I echo the comments of how awesome it is that you saved it from the crusher and landfill. There aren't a lot of these original Genesis grills left, and very few that look like yours! Great workmanship and stewardship :coolkettle: .

RIch,
I am so glad to hear that you are still planning on restoring that ULTRA special early Genesis. We have started seeing more of the early Genesis I-5 grills here on our board, but we haven't seen ANY with that control panel. As you said, it looks like you have a rare example of the very first run of these grills. We will all help any way we can. If you think you need something that I might have, please let me know.

Hey Tucker,
While drooling over the pictures of your grill, I noticed that the "white walls" on the wheels of your grill are the most pristine I have ever seen. I (we) would love a detailed close up picture of your wheels to have as a "benchmark" photo of what those old wheels looked like.

Thanks in advance!
Gerry
I'll see if I can snap you a few pics of my wheels.....

Interestingly enough, the wheels where the ONLY thing I didn't touch; they're just as they were the day it came to love with me. I haven't even hosed them off! They are in great shape, however.

I'll get a few extra images for you -

Back