Just picked up a couple Redhead grills

You will notice they don't really change the original kettle too much, I wonder why? They also made their original gas grill pretty much the same from 1985- 1999. That's a long time to keep making basically the same product, but it worked for them.
I would say that's probably a good sign of good design. How about you?

Exactly, they had it right the first time. Some running changes along the way, sure. Introducing other models to compliment the original line, you bet.
What they have going on now with the new models I bet they are extremely profitable. I haven't looked into it but I imagine they are doing quite well. I can't fault them for that. Also the fact that I can buy an old one very easily and fix it up. That is the ideal situation for me. Even if they still made them and charged today's prices maybe more cuz they were built to a higher standard back then. So if that would cost say $1,500ish if they were still making them like they used to. I would still buy an old one and fix it up myself.

Brilliant design. Built strong. Heavy materials, consistent quality. Sadly the consumer market has changed and the regular Joe isn’t going to spend a weeks wages when he can buy “the same” grill for $300 instead of $900.
For those of us who know better and are willing and able. We can get an old one and fix it up for a fraction of the price of a new one and arguably have something as good or better.
I am thankful to have that option.

What they have going on now with the new models I bet they are extremely profitable. I haven't looked into it but I imagine they are doing quite well. I can't fault them for that. Also the fact that I can buy an old one very easily and fix it up. That is the ideal situation for me. Even if they still made them and charged today's prices maybe more cuz they were built to a higher standard back then. So if that would cost say $1,500ish if they were still making them like they used to. I would still buy an old one and fix it up myself.
I see what you're saying, but I disagree. The old ones were much simpler machines compared to what they offer now. The fact that they would be made in China to begin with anyway lowers the cost immensely compared to doing all the manufacturing here. That part of the equation sadly would not change. They should be able to offer a modern Genesis 1000 at a lower price than the current version. I for one, would like to have a brand new out of the box one that I could just use for many years without worrying about the upkeep. Continuing to restore old ones is a diminished return prospect at best as the supply of quality used ones decreases every year now as well as the number of replacement parts still available.

Brilliant design. Built strong. Heavy materials, consistent quality. Sadly the consumer market has changed and the regular Joe isn’t going to spend a weeks wages when he can buy “the same” grill for $300 instead of $900.
You're missing the point, it's not new. Sure, anybody with half a brain can buy a used one and replace the burner tubes and what not. It will still cook great, but these grills are getting to the point where it's very difficult to make them look nice again.

I see what you're saying, but I disagree. The old ones were much simpler machines compared to what they offer now. The fact that they would be made in China to begin with anyway lowers the cost immensely compared to doing all the manufacturing here. That part of the equation sadly would not change. They should be able to offer a modern Genesis 1000 at a lower price than the current version. I for one, would like to have a brand new out of the box one that I could just use for many years without worrying about the upkeep. Continuing to restore old ones is a diminished return prospect at best as the supply of quality used ones decreases every year now as well as the number of replacement parts still available.
What you are saying absolutely makes sense. I am in no way trying to go against what you were saying. I agree with you.

Personally I'm thankful that I can still build an old one that can last the rest of my life regardless of what they're doing with the new ones.

Now if Weber would take us in as designers and or consultants that would be a different story. I will take one of those new Webers designed by us.

Personally I'm thankful that I can still build an old one that can last the rest of my life regardless of what they're doing with the new ones.
I'm grateful for that too, but we are the minority. Even among the people on this forum, there really aren't that many of us that can actually rebuild one of these to almost new standards. There are many more people that would probably like to have a new Genesis 1000 and would pay for the privilege

I'm grateful for that too, but we are the minority. Even among the people on this forum, there really aren't that many of us that can actually rebuild one of these to almost new standards. There are many more people that would probably like to have a new Genesis 1000 and would pay for the privilege
That is so true! I can't argue with that one bit.

Ok so I have been waiting for a green lid to come up for sale within driving distance. A nice one just came up. Price is a little bit High but I definitely want this lid. I'm going to have to think about my negotiating tactics on this one for a bit. The more I look at it this whole barbecue is in quite good shape. This one will make a very nice restoration project. I'll be willing to pay more for this one because it's what I'm looking for and it's in such great shape plus it comes with a quality cover. The kind they don't make anymore. I definitely have to shave at least $100 off though or more. What do you guys think? All things considered. Keep in mind this is exactly what I'm looking for.Screenshot_20240706_060611_OfferUp.jpg
Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/qqEblQVL0Kb

You're missing the point, it's not new. Sure, anybody with half a brain can buy a used one and replace the burner tubes and what not. It will still cook great, but these grills are getting to the point where it's very difficult to make them look nice again.
I’m referring to the NextGrills/CharBroils being $300. Way more affordable vs. a new Weber.

Ok so I have been waiting for a green lid to come up for sale within driving distance. A nice one just came up. Price is a little bit High but I definitely want this lid. I'm going to have to think about my negotiating tactics on this one for a bit. The more I look at it this whole barbecue is in quite good shape. This one will make a very nice restoration project. I'll be willing to pay more for this one because it's what I'm looking for and it's in such great shape plus it comes with a quality cover. The kind they don't make anymore. I definitely have to shave at least $100 off though or more. What do you guys think? All things considered. Keep in mind this is exactly what I'm looking for.Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/qqEblQVL0Kb

A lot of the non-refurbs I see posted at a ridiculous cost slowly dwindle down to the $150 range after a week or two. There’s one not far from me that was listed at $300 a couple weeks ago that I believe is down to $150, and I’m guessing an offer of $100 would take it. I’m not paying more than $25-50 unless the jewel comes around that can’t be passed up!

Ok so I have been waiting for a green lid to come up for sale within driving distance. A nice one just came up. Price is a little bit High but I definitely want this lid. I'm going to have to think about my negotiating tactics on this one for a bit. The more I look at it this whole barbecue is in quite good shape. This one will make a very nice restoration project. I'll be willing to pay more for this one because it's what I'm looking for and it's in such great shape plus it comes with a quality cover. The kind they don't make anymore. I definitely have to shave at least $100 off though or more. What do you guys think? All things considered. Keep in mind this is exactly what I'm looking for.View attachment 95190
Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/qqEblQVL0Kb
It looks exceptional for it's age. The condition of the cover suggests it sat indoors with the cover on for most of it's life. Good luck!

A lot of the non-refurbs I see posted at a ridiculous cost slowly dwindle down to the $150 range after a week or two. There’s one not far from me that was listed at $300 a couple weeks ago that I believe is down to $150, and I’m guessing an offer of $100 would take it. I’m not paying more than $25-50 unless the jewel comes around that can’t be passed up!
This is the can't pass it up for me. I'd rather have this than someone else's resto. I don't mind paying a little bit more for the right one. I'm picky about what I want. I won't just restore what ever I can find cheep. That said I probably can get it for $100ish. I understand that's more than most people would pay for a resto.

It looks exceptional for it's age. The condition of the cover suggests it sat indoors with the cover on for most of it's life. Good luck!
Thanks! I'm back from vacation late Sunday and Monday is going to be busy with work and Monday evening I have to pick up two other 1000s that sellers are waiting for me to pick up. And then I'll work on this one. I don't think it's going anywhere.

Back