Just picked this up...good candidate for my first flip?

Dave Maze

TVWBB Member
Just picked up this Silver A for $25, which I think was a great deal. I haven't done anything to it yet, not even a wipe down. Grates and flavorizer bars are in really good shape, and the grill itself is actually pretty clean. Everything works, including the ignitor. Thinking maybe I'll clean it up some and maybe touch up the paint to get it ready to flip. If I do that, what do you guys think I should ask for it? The other option is to just swap the flavorizer bars and grates with my other Silver A (which are in pretty bad shape) and then just sell it for close to what I paid. Interested to hear your thoughts!

New Silver A.jpgNew Silver A.jpgNew Silver A2.jpgNew Silver A 3.jpgNew Silver A 4.jpgNew Silver A 5.jpg

I'd clean it up really good. Try to sell it for $125. Take razor blade and some Simple Green to the underside of that lid and it'll look new.

Use the profit to by yourself some new SS flavor bars, SS grates and a nice steak.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I think I'll swap the flavorizer bars and grates with my other Silver A and then clean this one up and try to sell it for around $70 since the bars and grates I'll be putting in will need to be replaced. Jim for some reason there seem to be a lot of used Webers for sale pretty cheap down here (SW Florida). Not sure why...maybe it's just a temporary thing and I just got interested in grills at the right time! (Or wrong time if you ask my wife...she's thinking I'm becoming a little obsessed). I'll try Kyle's technique with the simple green and the razor blade. Thanks for the tip!

I'll try Kyle's technique with the simple green and the razor blade. Thanks for the tip!

When you first start scraping this way, it feels like your going to scratch the paint. Don't worry though, just keep the blade at an angle and the porcelain will be fine. Keep spraying Simple Green on it as you go.

Don't use this method for the side end caps on the lid. Just the main inside of the lid. You could actually use same method on outside of the lid as well.

When you are done, finish it with glass cleaner to make it shine

So cleaning this up along with my other Silver A. Going to leave the lids and end caps together. I will scrape and clean the lids with a razor blade and Simple Green. Is there something I can use to touch up the end caps? Thought I read somewhere that someone sprayed some spray paint into a container and just dipped something into it to use for touch up spots. If that's right, any idea what paint to use? Black and for high temps, but is there a specific type that will match better? I'd really prefer just to touch it up rather than take the lids and side caps apart.

They make Rustoleum High Heat BBQ paint sold in cans that you paint on with a brush. You could touch up with that, not sure how close the color will be though.

Thanks Kyle! I saw that today but wasn't sure if it would be too glossy for the end caps and outside of the firebox, so I went with the high heat rustoleum spray paint for the frame/emblem and a high heat rustoleum that was for automotive use for the firebox and end caps. It was more flat and matched pretty well. I sprayed it into a small metal pan and then touched up the grill with a foam brush. It actually worked really well! Only had one screw up at first when I sprayed the paint into a plastic cup. The paint took about 5 seconds to eat right through the cup and get all over everything :LOL: After I reassembled it I listed it on Marketplace for $100 and it went in like 3 minutes, so now I have room for another grill in my garage!

Here are some pictures of the grill after I finished with it. Came out pretty well for my first time, and sold quickly!

Attachments

• Front of Grill.jpg
    Front of Grill.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Inside Lid.jpg
    Inside Lid.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Control Panel.jpg
    Control Panel.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Weber Emblem.jpg
    Weber Emblem.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 24
Sure. I listed it for $100 and it went in like 3 minutes. Probably should have asked for more, but I actually had fun restoring it and already have another guy wanting to buy the next one that I have in my garage when it's ready for $120. He messaged and called me after he just missed the first one and I told him I had another one I was actually working on now and that he could have it when I was finished. Those Silvers are fun to work on and not too complicated at all thanks to all of you contributing to the resources here. I think I found a new hobby and might make a little cash on the side!

Dave, that is exactly how it works....Eventually you work your way up and will be flipping those for double that price. When I list my first couple grills in the spring, I wind up with a list of people that missed out on them and want me to let them know when I get another one ready.

I agree the Silver series grills are the simplest and easiest to rehab and flip. If you get to the three burner Silver B's, you will find the market is even better for them and you can make a bigger profit.

Yeah I've definitely caught the bug. Actually going to be leaving in a minute to pick up an 18" WSM someone agreed to sell me for $60. Looked in good shape too. Hopefully make some money on it. Thanks Bruce!

Hey Dave! Looks great and with a quick turnaround, I'm happy for you!

Im about to dive into a Silver A and wanted to ask for any advice on those plastic bits - did you just hit them with Simple Green and scrub?

And for the endcaps, did spot-painting do the trick? For a flip grill if you didn't need to grind everything off, that's a big win!

Hey Dave! Looks great and with a quick turnaround, I'm happy for you!

Im about to dive into a Silver A and wanted to ask for any advice on those plastic bits - did you just hit them with Simple Green and scrub?

And for the endcaps, did spot-painting do the trick? For a flip grill if you didn't need to grind everything off, that's a big win!

Thanks! Yeah pretty much just scrubbed them really well with the Simple Green. Also used a Magic Eraser cleaning pad (Mr. Clean). They work REALLY well to get stubborn stains out. And the spot painting did very well and was easier than removing the end caps and repainting everything (paint I used is in an earlier post I made on this thread I think). Initially I was afraid the newer paint would contrast with the old stuff, but it actually blended in nicely. I was really happy with how it came out, and so was the guy who bought it!

Thanks! Yeah pretty much just scrubbed them really well with the Simple Green. Also used a Magic Eraser cleaning pad (Mr. Clean). They work REALLY well to get stubborn stains out. And the spot painting did very well and was easier than removing the end caps and repainting everything (paint I used is in an earlier post I made on this thread I think). Initially I was afraid the newer paint would contrast with the old stuff, but it actually blended in nicely. I was really happy with how it came out, and so was the guy who bought it!
If you don't mind, is this the one you used for the endcaps?

And just to be clear, you only applied it to the places that needed it, not over the original paint?

I don't mind at all! Yes, that is the one I used for the endcaps. It didn't match perfectly after drying completely but was pretty close. And yes, I only applied to places that needed it...just touched up some spots. Not a perfect match but much less noticeable than before, and really pretty darn close.

Back