Just bought a total time saver

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
While this is not Weber gas grill specific I think it's too helpful not to share
So I ran extra gas line to accommodate the Weber Flame Bruce was so kind to sell me. And I kept getting occasional faint whiffs of gas, but so fleeting hard to pinpoint what it really was. Unable to "sniff" it out, and bubbles were useless for some reason. So Renee was still saying she was catching a whiff while we were out on the deck enjoying a late night after dinner drink and the Flame. So, after coming in I went straight to Amazon and found this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQYQZF22/?tag=tvwb-20
This thing is a time and trouble saver beyond all proportion of it's measly cost. A small metal filing in the flare fitting of the gas line let just a minute amount of gas through. Went in there with the device on high sensitivity BINGO found it. Took the fitting apart, cleaned out the miniscule little brass filing reattached and issue solved.

Larry, I just sprung for one. I see they are good for Propane as well. It will be used on my rehab grills in lieu of the bubble test. Good to have around the house as well.

There is a 5% coupon on it as well. Don't forget to click that if you buy one.

Glad you found that! The cottage next to ours had a neighbor and for two years (2 count em TWO) I’d mentioned to my sister in law (her cottage) that I had noticed the smell of propane. First my brother flat blew me off and, she said ” I’ve never smelled anything” and dismissed me as well. Jump ahead to when she and her granddaughter were up for the week, kid said she smelled gas, so I was vindicated and she ended up calling the fire department in the middle of the night scrambling the jets for the whole volunteer fire department and lights flashing and all sorts of calamity. The neighbors tanks (2-100#) had rusted to the point of leakage! Had someone flicked a butt down in the stream it would have made for interesting fireworks! Caution is always best. I don’t know when I’ve felt more wanting to say “I told you that…” but, I let it slide.

That looks like a very handy tool. I have two of these in my house, one near my dryer and one near the furnace. I don't trust my nose like I used to and these give a little extra peace of mind. Screenshot_20230623-185840.png

Bruce, I did buy it and yes did click the 5% off and I had some type of Amazon reward points as well. Thing saved me a ton of headache. I also have a Kidde combo detector in the basement near the furnace and water heater. To detect CO, combustible gas and smoke detection

While this is not Weber gas grill specific I think it's too helpful not to share
So I ran extra gas line to accommodate the Weber Flame Bruce was so kind to sell me. And I kept getting occasional faint whiffs of gas, but so fleeting hard to pinpoint what it really was. Unable to "sniff" it out, and bubbles were useless for some reason. So Renee was still saying she was catching a whiff while we were out on the deck enjoying a late night after dinner drink and the Flame. So, after coming in I went straight to Amazon and found this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQYQZF22/?tag=tvwb-20
This thing is a time and trouble saver beyond all proportion of it's measly cost. A small metal filing in the flare fitting of the gas line let just a minute amount of gas through. Went in there with the device on high sensitivity BINGO found it. Took the fitting apart, cleaned out the miniscule little brass filing reattached and issue solved.
This is a really good find. It's hard to believe that soapy water in a cup is the general standard for such a risk factor connection.

Went to a cookout last weekend and the host had been smelling gas from his gas grill, so he broke out the kettle. I went around all fittings with soapy water but could not find any leaks but there was definitely a gas smell. Finally had him turn on the gas and I went around with a long tip lighter and found the leak in about 10 seconds. There was a hole in one of the lines I could not see. Maybe a mouse had chewed it. I had a friend who was a plumber who always used a blow torch to check his black pipe connections. I maybe looking into that detector also;-)

That looks like a very handy tool. I have two of these in my house, one near my dryer and one near the furnace. I don't trust my nose like I used to and these give a little extra peace of mind. View attachment 73220
I have two of these also. They work great. I keep moving the gas valves when going past the stove. They are potential life savers and have already gone off a couple of times.

Went to a cookout last weekend and the host had been smelling gas from his gas grill, so he broke out the kettle. I went around all fittings with soapy water but could not find any leaks but there was definitely a gas smell. Finally had him turn on the gas and I went around with a long tip lighter and found the leak in about 10 seconds. There was a hole in one of the lines I could not see. Maybe a mouse had chewed it. I had a friend who was a plumber who always used a blow torch to check his black pipe connections. I maybe looking into that detector also;-)
Seriously, you test for gas leaks with a lighter?

Back