Just bought a Silver model 3 burner. Best way to clean it.

Dean in Mich.

TVWBB Member
Questions.
Whats the difference between a silver and a genisis?
Ive NEVER owned a gasser in my life. What to do first? It needs to be gone through and cleaned cometely.
GREASE is the word on this grill.
How do i know if it needs flavorizer bars or burner tubes?
I only paid $50 for it and there is no rust or scratches it seems to me like somebody just used it for a couple of years and never really cleaned it.
Thank you in advance for any input.

You want to replace the flavorizer bars if there are holes in them. Don't worry if they are gunked up but they should be cleaned as much as possible. As long as the burner tubes are functioning properly, then don't worry about them. You should have nice blue flames with very little yellow. If you see big areas with yellow, then there is likely a breech in the tubes and they will need to be replaced. If they just don't light up evenly or some spots don't light at all, then they probably just need some cleaning with a wire brush.
If you post up photos, someone will let you know what model of grill you have. Or you can go to one of the online sites and punch in the serial number to get info on what model it is and what year it was manufactured. You will need that if you have to order parts anyway.

Genesis is the "line" of grill, think Mustang from Ford. Fist generation was Genesis 1,2,3,4,5, next was Genesis 1000-5000, third was Genesis A/B/C, Silver/Gold/Platinum. A denoted 2 burner setup. B was 3 burners. C was 3 burners with side burner. Silvers have porcelain lids, Gold and Platinum had stainless steel. Also, the number of flip of tables depending on whether you had a Silver or Gold. Gets even more confusing as Weber used the exact same naming scheme when they went from open cart to closed carts with doors around 2005

How to clean ? Check out the first post in this thread first if you would:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?69...together-a-quot-How-To-quot-Restoration-Guide

It has a lot of great information in it.

Last edited:
Im learning a ton on here.. THANKS GUYS.
i checked the serial# its a DT which means its a 2003 genisis silver B.
I spent half a day cleaning it and it needs nothing! The grates are stamped steel ceramic coated im perfect condition. The FBs are a little rusty but cleaned up good. Burner tubes are perfect.
It fired up first try!!
I cooked up a med rare 24oz ribeye on my first cook... it was phenomenal
Won this grill for $50 on an auction website. Took a chance.. it had more grease and gunk in it than i tbought any grill could hold.
It came w a top notch cover too..!

That How TO guide is awesome. Thank you so much for that link. But I have a question. It says to use 0000 steel wool and simple green on the ceramic coated lid? Are all these lids ceramic coated...I thought it was just paint. For instance, a genesis from around 2005????

Im learning a ton on here.. THANKS GUYS.
i checked the serial# its a DT which means its a 2003 genisis silver B.
I spent half a day cleaning it and it needs nothing! The grates are stamped steel ceramic coated im perfect condition. The FBs are a little rusty but cleaned up good. Burner tubes are perfect.
It fired up first try!!
I cooked up a med rare 24oz ribeye on my first cook... it was phenomenal
Won this grill for $50 on an auction website. Took a chance.. it had more grease and gunk in it than i tbought any grill could hold.
It came w a top notch cover too..!

Nice! Got pics?

That How TO guide is awesome. Thank you so much for that link. But I have a question. It says to use 0000 steel wool and simple green on the ceramic coated lid? Are all these lids ceramic coated...I thought it was just paint. For instance, a genesis from around 2005????

You're welcome Bruce. If the lid is black or colored, then it's porcelain coated just like Weber kettles. If it's Silver in color, it's stainless steel.

Yah, I tried to sand out a scratch in one a couple weeks ago. I was wondering where the heck WEber got such long lasting and "TOUGH" paint.

Yep, it's pretty tough. But it can get scratched up. 000 steel wool will scratch it all to hell and make it hazy, hence, the recommendation of 0000

Back