Just bought a Q2000

MikeLucky

TVWBB Pro
So, my daughter says she wants a grill to take with her to go back to college. She lives in an apartment so that means gas. The only gas grill I have is my Q1200.

xl9EZkW.jpg

I had a gas Go Anywhere but I gave it to my oldest daughter's fiance as a graduation gift because he's all into grilling now. I need at least one gas grill in my collection, so I started trolling CL and FB Marketplace for grills to clean up for my daughter. Then I see this Q2000 and it's listed for $135. I chuckled at first but then started to look at the pictures and it was clear this was not a beat up old Q.

I met the guy today and picked it up. Got the Q2000, a propane hose, and he hands me a brand new regulator and bracket assembly. He says the original works just fine but for some reason Weber just sent him a new one. Never figured out why. lol.

FhA1YyP.jpg

When I saw how clean that grate was and the foil lining the inside, I knew this dude had taken care of this grill.

CrD4c3r.jpg

lpsRSvU.jpg

I don't think he ever used it without foil. Looks like new underneath it.

Q8oL6eJ.jpg

I didn't even negotiate. I probably overpaid, but I'm keeping this Q2000 and giving my daughter the Q1200 and the griddle for it. It'll be perfect for her to use at her apartment at college in Fort Collins.

But, until she leaves in August, my Weber family is back up to 7. :cool:

J7EznOF.jpg

When our oldest was at U of I Chicago she wanted one. I found a Q200 with the heavy duty cart and extension hose plus a tank of gas for $50! The guy was super cool, lived on the North Side near Lincoln Park but said he was going down to UIC so he could stop by, set it up and show her how to use it. Which he was nice enough to do so she still has it

$135 for that grill isn't bad at all. That thing is nearly refurbished quality. I would think the Q1200 would be better for Student in an apartment unless she has a bunch of roommates.

$135 for that grill isn't bad at all. That thing is nearly refurbished quality. I would think the Q1200 would be better for Student in an apartment unless she has a bunch of roommates.

Yeah, I was putting the handle light on it and it's seriously in amazing condition. Interesting note, I fired it up to do a burn off and check it out. Half the burner didn't light up. So, I took my metal brush and gave the burner a good scraping, right over the orifices and then it fired up all the way with no issues. I half joked to my wife that I thought maybe the dude sold it because of that and didn't know to do anything to fix it. Lol.

I was shooting the **** with him when I was picking it up and he starts this story about how he's selling it because he got this exciting new "Weber infrared" grill. I listened to him explain in detail to me how infrared works and how great it was. I then ask him, "did you say that infrared grill is a Weber?" Lol. He doubled down and said that it was a Weber. I let it go. Lol.

Yup, in a year of use which isnt much as i would like, i clean out the holes about 6 times. I just look at the flames. If they are not even, its cleaning time. Its amazing how the crud fills in the holes.

Yeah, it all makes sense. I can't believe no one on this board hasn't figured out a "flavorizer bar" for the Q like the multitude of options for the Go Anywhere gas.

Yeah, it all makes sense. I can't believe no one on this board hasn't figured out a "flavorizer bar" for the Q like the multitude of options for the Go Anywhere gas.

I think the Q is awesome as is. I think the absence of flavorizer bars allow the Q to do things I can't do safely or easily on my Broil King. For example, on my Q1200 I can do a really hot sear on a greasy ribeye, with the lid down, and without starting a nasty grease fire. If I do the same thing on my Broil King, the flavorizers cause the ribeye drippings to flash so badly that I get 2' high flames shooting everywhere. Lid down would be a disaster.

Overall, I'd say the Q is better at some tasks but not a replacement for other grills. That's why I still have my BK grill and mini WSM alongside the Q1200. They all serve different purposes.

Last edited:
I would stick with your iGrill2. Some of the results I have seen with "add on" thermometers didn't look so good to me. The ambient probe should be way more accurate, too.

I would stick with your iGrill2. Some of the results I have seen with "add on" thermometers didn't look so good to me. The ambient probe should be way more accurate, too.

I find the igrill probes to be quite delicate. If I heat my Q up for searing, air temp will be higher than 550F and grate temp can reach close to 700F. Those temps will likely destroy the probe wires.

That's a good point. Those probes are really safer used for low and slow bbq - not a Weber Q strong point.

If you did decide to add an external thermometer, maybe you can find a slim bezel that will make it integrate better.

I find the igrill probes to be quite delicate. If I heat my Q up for searing, air temp will be higher than 550F and grate temp can reach close to 700F. Those temps will likely destroy the probe wires.

Yeah, I pull the probe before it gets to 500. I've already accidently killed one when I was testing to see how hot the gas go anywhere would get. Lol. I actually killed a Weber digital food thermo too at the same time.

The only time I need the Q2000 to be monitored for grill temp is when I'm trying for a temp below 500. If I'm searing, I don't need the temp since I want it as hot as possible anyway. But, I see me trying to get a thermo mounted on this at some point when I'm brave enough to drill into it.

Yeah, I pull the probe before it gets to 500. I've already accidently killed one when I was testing to see how hot the gas go anywhere would get. Lol. I actually killed a Weber digital food thermo too at the same time.

The only time I need the Q2000 to be monitored for grill temp is when I'm trying for a temp below 500. If I'm searing, I don't need the temp since I want it as hot as possible anyway. But, I see me trying to get a thermo mounted on this at some point when I'm brave enough to drill into it.
I've drilled a few lids. Just double / triple check to ensure you're in the middle. Start with a small bit and work your way up....pretty easy.

A step drill works perfectly for drilling a mounting hold for a thermometer in the lid a of a Q grill.

Back