Just a little pork butt

Tell everybody a tip..........................Don't know if anyone's tried it, but Aldi has a killer good BBQ sauce. I'm not usually much on sauces as either too much vinegar, too sweet or too hot. Their Kansas City BBQ sauce IMO is "da bomb"

Took it off at 205. Little rest to cool down. Smokefire comes through again. Can't believe I missed out on pellet cooking for so long.
View attachment 73768
Looks great! Did it have much smoke flavor?

What kind of pellets did you use? I recently got a pellet grill to use when I didn't want to get dirty with charcoal using my WSM.

My first attempt with a pork butt needed more smoke flavor.

I gotta say, I have been getting pretty deep smoke flavor on both the MM and the Z with the Costco pellet blend. And quite honestly very similar results from the Member's Mark blend as well. I've been mostly using Costco because of their cost being so economical. Short cooks obviously not as much flavor. Still good though. But, on my recent long cooks with brisket and ribs I got solid smoke. Even the aroma filled the house nicely when I took everything outta their "wraps".

I gotta say, I have been getting pretty deep smoke flavor on both the MM and the Z with the Costco pellet blend. And quite honestly very similar results from the Member's Mark blend as well. I've been mostly using Costco because of their cost being so economical. Short cooks obviously not as much flavor. Still good though. But, on my recent long cooks with brisket and ribs I got solid smoke. Even the aroma filled the house nicely when I took everything outta their "wraps".
I don't have a Costco membership. I purchased a small zgrill based off your recent posts. I got it for less than $300 from Lowes in May. No fancy bells and whistles.

I'm using a 3:1 mix of a bear mountain blend (Red, White, and BBQ (oak/hickory) from Lowes) with Pitt Boss apple blend. On my WSM I normally use one wood chunk of each of these types of woods.

The dial temperature was set at 225 or 250F. At 225 the grate temperature went up to 240F.

Last edited:
Not familiar with those pellets, but would think you should get decent smoke on it especially adding in the chunks. Though I tried doing added wood chips on my Member's Mark and honestly never could get them to light off enough to work. So I gave up on that idea

Not familiar with those pellets, but would think you should get decent smoke on it especially adding in the chunks. Though I tried doing added wood chips on my Member's Mark and honestly never could get them to light off enough to work. So I gave up on that idea
The chunks are for my WSM not the pellet grill. I was trying to replicate what I was familiar with using that pellet blend.

Looks great! Did it have much smoke flavor?

What kind of pellets did you use? I recently got a pellet grill to use when I didn't want to get dirty with charcoal using my WSM.

My first attempt with a pork butt needed more smoke flavor.
I used Pit Boss Apple & Pecan pellets. Excellent smoke flavor.

I don't have a Costco membership. I purchased a small zgrill based off your recent posts. I got it for less than $300 from Lowes in May. No fancy bells and whistles.

I'm using a 3:1 mix of a bear mountain blend (Red, White, and BBQ (oak/hickory) from Lowes) with Pitt Boss apple blend. On my WSM I normally use one wood chunk of each of these types of woods.

The dial temperature was set at 225 or 250F. At 225 the grate temperature went up to 240F.
1688750606675.jpeg

Back