Jumbo Joe IS BACK! In 2013

Thanks Chris
I have not been on site much recently.I just ordered a J.J. today and it showed on Amazon "In Stock" I will let the Forum know when it arrives.

Last edited:
I do like that Jumbo Joe which is perfect for tailgating. Noticed on the weber video link it demonstrated the use of a weber folding table to elevate the grill. I also like the 3 new performer lines but not sold on the timer that comes with the gold and platumn models, not sure that is a necessary accessory. No need to modify the WSMs since those are in a state of perfection.

Thanks for pointing that out M.
That table is nice, and the locking feature is an added bonus.
They also show the new smaller chimney which if they bundle all three together would make a great tailgating/camping package.

Edit:
Just was at my local Ace and they had the new JJ along with the three new Performers and the smaller chimney on display.

Tim

Last edited:
IMG_4046.JPG

New Jumbo Joe VS Smokey Joe Platinum

IMG_4057%201.JPG

Just assembled the Jumbo Joe. I bought 2 so I could use one and have another NIB (you know the addiction)

You can see quite the difference in height but most shocking and concerning is the substantial weight difference. The New JJ is 3.8LBs LIGHTER than the SJP! So I can only assume that means thinner gauge metal in body, grates and or porcelain coating. Either way I like the grill (not many Weber products that you can’t like) I do like its shorter height, bottom vent and ash catcher. I plan on tailgating with it this weekend for Sunday’s game and I will let you know how it cooks.

Thanks for posting the pictures of the two grills, I did not realize the shorter profile. Also, I am looking forward to your pics after grilling with it this weekend.

I think the weight difference is probably a combination of thinner metal, and LESS metal (as it's a few inches shorter).

Thanks for these pictures; especially the comparison with the old JJ/SJP, which I also currently have. I added a three hole damper in the bottom of mine for better airflow and it works terrific-ly for me. It'll get hot enough to sear burgers and steaks, but won't stay ultra-hot (>500 degrees) for hours on end. I have two kamados to make up that slack, so I'm OK there.

The new Jumbo Joe reminds me of a 3 1/2 inch wider version of my SJ silver, which works GREAT for high temp cooking. I'll pass on spending 70 bucks on the new one, and will wait for them to show up on CL.

I haven't really been on the site since the relaunch, what a cool thing to discover upon my return. Any verdict on how it cooks, especially compared to the SJP?

I first thought "oh no, I just overpaid for a SJP not too long ago" and then saw the picture in that it's quite a bit different. I like how this one has bottom vents like a SJS, but with the lid lock. Many have modded their SJPs to have the one touch assembly to get that air in from the bottom. Looks like I have another Weber to go buy, as I like the SJP, but it's not really a good size for putting in the trunk of my car.

My apologis for no cooking photos, but I can tell you it cooks HOTTER and faster than the SJP. Sometimes that is good for steaks, etc. sometimes you want slow. The one Pro I do like is from start to cook time is faster. Vents on SJP easy to reach, this SJJ you better adjust before it gets HOT because reaching it below between ash pan is tight! Both are great grills and I am just happy they brought it back. Most likely due to the constant support from TVWBB!

Rob M,

Out of curiosity:

1. Does the grate appear to be a unique diameter for this grill or is is the same as the 18 1/2" WSM or One Touch grill.

2. Is the lid on the new JJ interchangeable with the old JJ?

Hi W.T.
1. It appears to be the same upper cooking grate as 18.5 WSM with the handles,......maybe slightly thinner gauge than what I have on my 18.5

2. Yes, I tried swapping lids and they both fit the other.

Back