New: 2013 Weber 1211001 Jumbo Joe Gold Charcoal Grill, 18-Inch

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the 2013 Weber 1211001 Jumbo Joe Gold 18" Charcoal Grill, listed at Amazon for $69.99.

• Porcelain-enameled bowl and lid with a cooking area of 240 square inch
  • 18.5-inch diameter plated steel cooking grate
  • Rust-resistant aluminum dampers and ash catcher
  • One glass-reinforced nylon handle
  • Assembled dimensions 19.75-inch by 20.5-inch by 19.75-inch

Need a larger cooking surface from a portable grill? Tailgaters, campers and all grillers on-the-go will appreciate the Jumbo Joe Gold – an extra large, but still very portable, charcoal grill.

Glad to see they have started the Jumbo Joe up again, with a pretty nice price upgrade also.

Chris, Howdy ;

Thanks for the info.
Even if they are Temp. out of Stock. :(
Strange, it reads Jumbo Joe Gold ... yet it has a bottom vent with ash pan ...
annnnnd dosen't appear to have the side vents ... ?????

hank

It looks like they moved the vent to the bottom. i.e. better air flow. They probably couldn't sell enough of them with the side vents.

I think this is great. Hope it has good build quality. And it should finally stop people from paying outrageous prices for the old one.

So why in heck did Weber ever quit selling these? I've got a SJ that's great for cabin stays and such with my wife. However, the jumbo looks like the ultimate camping grill or trips with the kids.

I think this is great. Hope it has good build quality. And it should finally stop people from paying outrageous prices for the old one.

You know... I wonder what an outrageous price actually is. I gave $45 for a real nice wood handled "O" Jumbo, and I gave $15 for a 2004 model that wasn't very nice... Would I give $70 for a new one... I am not sure. Honestly, I am not sure I am that jazzed over the shape of the dome.

You know... I wonder what an outrageous price actually is. I gave $45 for a real nice wood handled "O" Jumbo, and I gave $15 for a 2004 model that wasn't very nice... Would I give $70 for a new one... I am not sure. Honestly, I am not sure I am that jazzed over the shape of the dome.

I have one I bought back in late 2010, very gently used, and paid $35 for it, a chimney starter, and an unopened bag of Kingsford Competition charcoal. While I understand the safety reasons, from a burn and airflow perspective the old design made no sense at all. Impossible to get any airflow underneath without some funky creativity.

I may be in the minority, but I won't hesitate to pay 70 bucks (especially w/free shipping thru Amazon) and give the old one away for free. Sure the old one will probably make a decent low buck WSM (with a ProQ Stacker - if you can find one), but I believe Weber listened to the consumer and addressed the key design flaws of the old one.

I won't pre-order one, but will surely purchase one when they come on the market (if they are of any decent quality at all). An 18" WSM bezel and Weber Summit 600 degree thermometer should make for a very nice, large portable grill.

Last edited:
So why in heck did Weber ever quit selling these? I've got a SJ that's great for cabin stays and such with my wife. However, the jumbo looks like the ultimate camping grill or trips with the kids.

This grill will be the perfect camping grill for us since with two young boys the SJ we have now is just too small for me, my wife and the boys.

Not gonna pre-order one since with our oldest son now in Kindergarten, we won't be doing any camping until next summer anyway. Will definitely buy one later though.

I contacted my local True Value owner who had placed an order for five Jumbos. Don't know when they'll get in but I'm on the list to get one of them. I'm sure your local owners/dealers have also ordered.

Has anyone YET seen one of these in person or had one delivered...??? All signs so far (Lowe's discontinuing on its site, not on Weber's site, etc.) are not very promising of it coming to fruition. Amazon DOES now show it in stock though.

Hi W.T.
I have one ordered through Amazon (tracking says it will be delivered Monday 11/19/12) and my local Ace Hardware says they will have them in by Tuesday 11/20 for $59.99 so even though I paid $69.99 from Amazon I am picking up another from Ace to keep NIB. I will post comparison pics with my Smokey Joe Platinum ASAP, most likely Monday night.

Yes please do Rob.
I'm curious if Weber made the new one's cooking grate the same as all 18.5" grates compared to the SJP which has that odd sized grate.
I saw one at Ace today but it was still in the box.

Tim

Just assembled the Jumbo Joe. I bought 2 so I could use one and have another NIB (you know the addiction)

You can see quite the difference in height but most shocking and concerning is the substantial weight difference. The New JJ is 3.8LBs LIGHTER! So I can only assume that means thinner gauge metal in body, grates and or porcelain coating. Either way I like the grill (not many Weber products that you can’t like) I do like its shorter height, bottom vent and ash catcher. I plan on tailgating with it this weekend for Sunday’s game and I will let you know how it cooks.
IMG_4057%201.JPG

One thing I like about my old jumbo joe is that I'm able store a chimney starter in it with the lid closed for camping trips. I wonder if that mini chimney would light enough charcoal for a cook and fit inside of this new model.

This is going on the top of my Xmas list. Have never been able to find the older version on Craigslist here in JAX.

Just assembled one for my son. The mini chimney does not fit on the top grate with the lid closed for portability. Weber did switch to the standard cooking grate that fits on all 18.5" models. (17.5")
The distance between the two grates on the newer one is about 1.5" shorter than the SJP.
I'm not crazy with the bolt & nut on the handle or the vents. I like the riveted vents better cause they just move more smoothly.
Weber does supply a plastic t-handled nut driver so the only tool you need for assembly is a straight blade screwdriver.

Tim

Does anyone know if the crycort 18.5" gridle will fit the new jumbo joe? If it does fit i have a new item on my christmas wich list!

Kind regards!

Back