Jumbo Joe grate size?

StanSulli

TVWBB Fan
What size cooking grate does the 2015 Jumbo Joe take? Please answer from first hand experienece.

I ask for first hand experience because, as usual, I'm finding ontradictory info out there.

Some people say an 18.5 grate for an 18.5 One Touch will fit a JJ just fine. Others said only Weber grates made SPECIFICALLY for the JJ will fit and 18.5 One Touch cooking grates are a no go for the JJ.

I'd love to know the truth of this matter.

Also, will the Weber 18.5 hinged grate, model #7433 fit the Jumbo Joe correctly?

Thanks

Here are pictures of the 18.5" Jumbo Joe grate on top of the 18.5" kettle grate. You can see that they are identical. (Kettle grate is turned upside down in the photo.)

IMG_53831_zpsgaslmafv.jpg

IMG_53811_zpsckzpm4n2.jpg

The hinged grate should fit the Jumbo Joe because fixed and hinged 18.5" grates are supposed to be interchangeable on Weber kettles and therefore should work the same in the Jumbo Joe or WSM or any other grill that uses an 18.5" grate.

Now, having said that...we've had occasional reports over the years of people buying replacement grates and finding that the diameter is slightly larger or smaller than the original grate being replaced, resulting in a poor fit. This is the result of a manufacturing error and Weber has been known to replace these grates for free.

The Smokey Joe Platinum used a grate that was 3/8" wider than the standard 18.5" grate and was only available from Weber. My 06 SJP grate measures 17 7/8" while my Son's 2013 JJ measures 17 1/2" the same as a replacement 18.5" grate.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Jumbo Joe and I bought the Weber 7433 2 weeks ago from Target.

The Weber 7433 fits perfectly on the Jumbo Joe.

This new grate is a great addition in case you want to add more briquettes/wood and is a heavier gauge.

I have a Jumbo Joe and I bought the Weber 7433 2 weeks ago from Target.

The Weber 7433 fits perfectly on the Jumbo Joe.

This new grate is a great addition in case you want to add more briquettes/wood and is a heavier gauge.

Ditto on this as I bought one also just for the hinge, got this for my future travel trailer camping.

Back