Jumbo Joe at Walmart

StanSulli

TVWBB Fan
I decided to break down and pay full price on a Jumbo Joe since I couldn't find one on sale.

Went to Walmart and when it was scanned at the counter it was $40 even. The cashier said it was either an unadvertised Labor Day sale price or an unadvertised clearance sale. Either way, I was happy..

Here's a Jumbo Joe question for you.

Depending where you look, Weber model #1211001 is alternately named "Jumbo Joe" and sometimes "Jumbo Joe Gold." How is it that the same Weber model # has two different names?

Search for Weber 1211001 and you'll see what I mean.

Take care.

How is it that the same Weber model # has two different names?

It doesn't. Weber uses only "Jumbo Joe" to describe this grill on its website and in 2013/14/15 catalogs. Online references to "Jumbo Joe Gold" are in error.

In fact, starting with the 2015 model year, Weber no longer uses the terms "Silver", "Gold" and "Platinum" at all. Here's how the names have changed:

2014 Model Name2015 Model Name
Smokey Joe SilverSmokey Joe
Smokey Joe GoldSmokey Joe Premium
Jumbo JoeJumbo Joe
One-Touch SilverOriginal Kettle
One-Touch GoldOriginal Kettle Premium
Performer SilverPerformer
Performer GoldPerformer Premium
Performer PlatinumPerformer Deluxe

Hope this helps.

Chris, thanks for clearing that up. It was very confusing. Some vendors, Amazon included, still refer to model #1211001 as the "Jumbo Joe Gold."

Woohoo! $40 is a great price for a new Jumbo Joe. I use mine all the time, you're going to love it.

I recommend going back to Walmart and see if you can get a hinged grate on sale.

Have fun with it and report back on your Jumbo Joe cooks :)

Woohoo! $40 is a great price for a new Jumbo Joe. I use mine all the time, you're going to love it.

I recommend going back to Walmart and see if you can get a hinged grate on sale.

Have fun with it and report back on your Jumbo Joe cooks :)

Doing a 4 lb chicken, indirect, right now. Put it on about 20 minutes ago.

I did a burn off first. There was some kind of, I think, white grease on the inside and outside of the lid. After the burn I washed the whole grill, grates and all.

Doing a 4 lb chicken, indirect, right now. Put it on about 20 minutes ago.

Excellent for first time with the grill. I used too few coals though and by the end, when I tried to add more (unlit) coals they never got going.

So I never got the temp. over 159 f on the grill. So it went into the oven at 350 f for a few minutes until the temp. hit 165 f.

Tasted great!

It's all about learning your equipment. Thanks for the update!
Now, what's next on the menu?

I decided to break down and pay full price on a Jumbo Joe since I couldn't find one on sale.

Went to Walmart and when it was scanned at the counter it was $40 even. The cashier said it was either an unadvertised Labor Day sale price or an unadvertised clearance sale. Either way, I was happy..

Thank You!

After seeing your comment about $40 Jumbo Joe at Walmart, I went to my local store yesterday and found they had one left at full price. I told the department manager that I had seen online that some stores were marking them down to $40. She said no problem, marked it down to $40 and opened a register to check me out. :coolkettle:

Thank You!

After seeing your comment about $40 Jumbo Joe at Walmart, I went to my local store yesterday and found they had one left at full price. I told the department manager that I had seen online that some stores were marking them down to $40. She said no problem, marked it down to $40 and opened a register to check me out. :coolkettle:

Great! Good for you. It never hurts to ask.

I've said this before. The Jumbo Joe is a REAL grill! It is small enough to be portable, but large enough to do serious work indirect, if needed. It's distance from the charcoal grate to the food grate is short, so you get great searing with on regular chimney of lit when spread evenly over the charcoal grate or "FANTASTIC" searing if you dump a whole chimney against one side. When doing this, I use a couple of the thin fire bricks to separate direct and indirect zones.

I am not a fan of the Smokey Joe Silver or Gold (although they make a great base for the mini) but the Jumbo Joe is used many times for small cooks for just the wife and I or even when another couple might be over for dinner.

FWIW
Dale53

I went to Walmart one evening a couple weeks ago and they were in the process of marking down a ton of inventory. I ended up buying a Jumbo Joe for $22.50! They had several, but I decided to buy only 1. Went back just the other day and there was still one on the shelf. The temptation was too much, so I asked about it and they sold it to me for $22.50. I now have 2 Jumbo Joes and would like to convert at least one of them to a mini WSM. Now the challenge will be finding a tamale pot to fit...

Anyone have any leads on a pot? I see there is a video on YouTube of a guy who made one with a stainless steel pot, but that pot is $139 on Amazon. A little much...

Along with the name changes, I noticed that they moved the location of the lid hooks. Now, they are all perpendicular to the handle, which in my opinion makes it much more cumbersome to use.

Back