July 4th Father Son Cook

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
My first cook on my Smokefire EX6 was July 4, 2020 and the steak was great. Today, my son let me walk him through cooking 2 pork butts and a rack of St. Louis ribs. Our 30 year old grandson and his wife were invited but Kat stayed home because of illness. Cody took lots of leftovers home. The butts were small, total of 8 pounds for the two. Yesterday, I taught Spike how to inject butts, and we used the Chris Lilly inject. This morning he cranked up the EX6, set temp was 275 F, we put Meat Church Honey Hog rub on them, and had them on the grill at 8:30 AM. That rub is delicious on butts and ribs. I have always made my own rubs but that just changed.
At 160 IT he wrapped them in foil with Apple juice and watched them walk right through what would have been the stall. Neither butt stalled and they were done in 6 and 6.5 hours. While pulling the bigger one we saw that most of the fat had rendered out. The smaller is not pulled and going home with Cody. We had Grandma's potato salad, baked beans, and corn on the cob cooked in the Sous Vide.
The ribs were fall off the bone and delicious. The pulled pork was moist and soooo good. The boy is 57 but we enjoy working together just as much as when he was a teen. Happy fourth to all

IMG_0189.jpegIMG_0192.jpegIMG_0193.jpegIMG_0194.jpegIMG_0195.jpeg

Everything looks delicious, and what a wonderful time with your son too! My father mostly complains and/or tries to convince me to get sloppy with food safety – He thinks the secret to juicier meat is to undercook it, including chicken… 🙃

I’ll have to try Honey Hog on some pork; I’ve only ever used it on chicken. Thanks for the tip!

My first cook on my Smokefire EX6 was July 4, 2020 and the steak was great. Today, my son let me walk him through cooking 2 pork butts and a rack of St. Louis ribs. Our 30 year old grandson and his wife were invited but Kat stayed home because of illness. Cody took lots of leftovers home. The butts were small, total of 8 pounds for the two. Yesterday, I taught Spike how to inject butts, and we used the Chris Lilly inject. This morning he cranked up the EX6, set temp was 275 F, we put Meat Church Honey Hog rub on them, and had them on the grill at 8:30 AM. That rub is delicious on butts and ribs. I have always made my own rubs but that just changed.
At 160 IT he wrapped them in foil with Apple juice and watched them walk right through what would have been the stall. Neither butt stalled and they were done in 6 and 6.5 hours. While pulling the bigger one we saw that most of the fat had rendered out. The smaller is not pulled and going home with Cody. We had Grandma's potato salad, baked beans, and corn on the cob cooked in the Sous Vide.
The ribs were fall off the bone and delicious. The pulled pork was moist and soooo good. The boy is 57 but we enjoy working together just as much as when he was a teen. Happy fourth to all

View attachment 74055View attachment 74056View attachment 74057View attachment 74058View attachment 74059
Looks great Lew. Now you need to stay on your toes or you won't be the family pit master :)

Back