Jerky Question

Robert T.

TVWBB Super Fan
Over the next couple of weeks, I am planning on making my first attempt at beef jerky on the WSM. Here is my question. I have seen many posts both on here and the Barbecue Bible site about this topic. There are lots of good recipes out there but one thing that has me confused is that some utilize Tender Quick and some don't. If I don't use, how long would the jerky last. If I do use, will it change the flavoring?

Thanks in advance for your help and I will certainly post pics if and when I do this.

Buckeye Bob

The operative issue for the shelf life of jerky is dryness, not whether it's been cured. Some producers use a cure because it allows them to leave more moisture in the product. A cure will lengthen shelf life for products that are fattier, like bacon, because it retards the rancidifcation of fats. It is not required for jerky if dessication is adequate. In terms of flavor, it depends on how much you use. I don't see a big difference between the two if the amount of cure is reasonable.

FWIW, I never use TQ or Prague Powder in my jerky. As Kevin states, the issue is the level of moisture in the meat; which is needed for bacteria to thrive. Originally jerky needed to be very dry as refrigeration was not available. These days, one doesn't need to be as precise if refrigeration is used. I generally keep my jerky in the fridge if it's not going to be consumed within a few days.

Paul

So it sounds like the key is just to dry it for a long time at minimal temps? Many recipes I have seen have a temp below 140. Is that about in the right area?

Bob

Below 140 gets you into the 'danger zone' for bacteria, which in turn brings in the issue of TQ or Prague Powder to retard the growth of bacteria. From a practical perspective, holding the WSM at or below 140 is somewhat tricky, so I'd recommend shooting for 150-180 range. Use a ceramic dish or sand as a heat sink along with a few lit coals and you'll be fine. Going above 200 and it's easy to cook the meat as opposed to drying it. It will still taste fine, but won't have that dried texture to it.

Originally posted by Paul K:
Below 140 gets you into the 'danger zone' for bacteria, which in turn brings in the issue of TQ or Prague Powder to retard the growth of bacteria. From a practical perspective, holding the WSM at or below 140 is somewhat tricky, so I'd recommend shooting for 150-180 range. Use a ceramic dish or sand as a heat sink along with a few lit coals and you'll be fine. Going above 200 and it's easy to cook the meat as opposed to drying it. It will still taste fine, but won't have that dried texture to it.

On another thread I noted that Alton Brown used a jerky-making method in which he (1) used no curing agent, and (2) used no heat.
Further, he said that when stored in a loose container, the jerky would last for years.

the youtube and text links are here
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6680069052/m...220009975#7220009975

I have heard to put in those moisture packets in a Ziplock bag helps alot. I plan on doing jerky also but would my Guru DigiQll be able to keep a temp of 170*? And how much coal would I need? I heard a coffee can(metal,without label) filled with unlit topped with lite coals would work. but would it really last for 5hrs appox?

With adequate dessication shelf life is virtually unlimited. The key, again, is lack of moisture.

If you're using a Guru, Chuck, don't worry about quantity of unlit. Use plenty. Light a few coals, place on top of the unlit, fire up the Guru and you're good. When the meat is ready just shut down the cooker and let the fire extinguish. The Guru should only add enough air to keep it at your target so you'll have unlit left over.

All,

Thanks for your help on this. Paul, I am glad to hear I can do at higher than 140 as I was worried about keeping the WSM at that level or below. As I mentioned, I will be sure to take some pics when I finally get a chance to do this.

Bob

Back