Jerky on The Smokefire

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
I like smoking Jerky on a pellet grill for several reasons. The Smokefire is great for Jerky. 5# Sam's Club Eye of Round, Frank's Red Hot Marinade for 24 hours, and Weber Grillmaster blend pellets. I kept the lid open to take pictures and temp dropped to 145 and slowly climbed to the mid 150s. After 2 hours the temp rose to 172 and hardly varied for 2 more hours. That's the temperature range I was hoping for with SmpkeBoost. I tasted the Jerky after 4 hours and the smoke was just right for me. I pulled the meat off and finished in with 3 hours in the dehydrator. With SmokeBoost the controller does not show pit temp so I used the Weber probe to monitor pit temp while using SB. It fits in my homemade probe stand. The Jerky came out just as I wanted. Good smoke, nice kick, flavor I like, and chews great. The Smokefire may extend my BBQ days for years. My back likes doing everything standing up.

Attachments

• Jerky 8-13-20.JPG
    Jerky 8-13-20.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Smoked Jerky 8-13-20.JPG
    Smoked Jerky 8-13-20.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 35
Great idea. Love jerky. 5 pounds.. great start. My back likes doing everything weightless so if you get an anti-gravity thing and have no other use for it...

Great idea. Love jerky. 5 pounds.. great start. My back likes doing everything weightless so if you get an anti-gravity thing and have no other use for it...

This was my 2nd Jerky smoke on the EX6 but the first time SmokeBoost didn't give me the good temps I got this time. For 2 years I thought my Camp Chef was a Jerky making machine. The SmokeFire does an even better job. I'm delighted with this thing.

If I find an anti gravity machine I'll let you know where to get it. 😁 I use an Inversion Table and it helps a lot for a couple of hours. Closest I can come to anti gravity. :(

An old Vorbusier lounge 4 works well but is expensive and only for "beginner" pain. The cheaper "zero gravity" camp chairs work a bit better cause they pull more between knees and spine for a bit o traction. Traction used to work for me but unfortunately no longer. Love jerky. 5 pounds soinds like a good start. Ps. I found dogs love jerky even more!
Thanks

I like smoking Jerky on a pellet grill for several reasons. The Smokefire is great for Jerky. 5# Sam's Club Eye of Round, Frank's Red Hot Marinade for 24 hours, and Weber Grillmaster blend pellets. I kept the lid open to take pictures and temp dropped to 145 and slowly climbed to the mid 150s. After 2 hours the temp rose to 172 and hardly varied for 2 more hours. That's the temperature range I was hoping for with SmpkeBoost. I tasted the Jerky after 4 hours and the smoke was just right for me. I pulled the meat off and finished in with 3 hours in the dehydrator. With SmokeBoost the controller does not show pit temp so I used the Weber probe to monitor pit temp while using SB. It fits in my homemade probe stand. The Jerky came out just as I wanted. Good smoke, nice kick, flavor I like, and chews great. The Smokefire may extend my BBQ days for years. My back likes doing everything standing up.
Lew,

Great looking jerky !!

Here's the original recipe from Jerkyholic. Been using it for a few years. I substituted 1/2 cup Allegro Original Marinate for the Soy and Worcestershire sauce and the taste is very close to the original recipe.. I added 3/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper for heat. I found that increasing the Frank's didn't get it spicy enough. I do use curing salt in my Jerky.
Ingredients

Lean Meat
Marinade
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp liquid smoke Mesquite
  • 1 tsp cracked black pepper
  • 4 tbsp Frank's RedHot
  • 1/4 cup water
Optional

@Lew Newby I know this is an older post, but I was wondering which dehydrator you're using now? I'm using one made by NESCO with circular trays that you can keep stacking until you need a building permit :).

I made jerky yesterday on the Memphis Pro smoked at 180 degrees for about 6 1/2 hours because it was a bit thicker than how I usually cut it, using elk steaks my neighbor gave me. It will be sampled tomorrow at the Sunday social distancing neighborhood get-together.
1691880557632.jpeg

I have a Nesco with 6 circular trays. It works fine.

I like my Nesco. I never thought to give the jerky a few hours on the SF first.

With my ELX 6 I noticed that although the Weber app shows a straight 200 on the dashboard in Smoke Boost, the graph will chart other temps. On a hot day (85+) it's a straight 200, but when temps were in the 70s and may have dipped into the high 60s, I noticed the graph recording180 and occasionally 160. I haven't used SB enough yet to know if it's a sure thing or an artifact and also don't recall the wind (if any). I know that for some folks this summer 85+ has been the low temp.

Back