Jerk Hasselback Chicken Breast

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
IMG_20220802_183445760.jpg
Honest self confession here. I love to cook (grill/smoke) and I will fix anything that is good and easy (minimum hassles) whether from scratch or from freezer or box, from recipe or -- not. This cook fits perfectly. Using @K Kruger 's jerk sauce, the Hasselback method for chicken, and from some recipes, I went off on my own. Frozen fries and a self invented salsa/slaw in what I hoped was a Jamaican mode, it all came together well.

Two large chicken breasts from Costco after marinating 4 hours in the jerk sauce.
IMG_20220802_174930358.jpg

A "Rich" original Jamaican-style slaw (salsa?).
IMG_20220802_175910200.jpg

Chicken 30 minutes at 400* in 8" cast iron pan with a handful of fries below.
IMG_20220802_181026531.jpg

After adding the slaw on top with 10 minutes to go in the cook.
IMG_20220802_182451896.jpg

It ended up plated as above though I also added fresh slaw on the side. My simple slaw recipe to appear soon under Side Dishes.

The second breast was dinner the next evening with grilled Teriyaki cauliflower. (Failed to get that picture, but it looked just fine!)

Last edited:
I have to say that Kevin's jerk sauce is fabulous! I worked it between the chicken slices with a brush and it was all permeated with that great jerk flavor.

I hadn't thought about doing chicken that way. Brilliant !!!! I will have to try it
Someone (sorry I don't remember) in another thread suggested using two chopsticks to control the Hasselback depth -- sounded ideal for chicken breast, but I don't have them. Instead, I stole the concept and used butchers twine to tie two (4) flat bamboo skewers together. Worked fine. With potatoes, I have two small plastic cutting boards that are good, but that seems too awkward for slippery, squishy chicken.

Great looking cook. Yeah, someone made that suggestion about the chopsticks in my thread a couple weeks ago. Someone else made a suggestion to use two thin cutting boards. Both excellent suggestions.

Someone (sorry I don't remember) in another thread suggested using two chopsticks to control the Hasselback depth -- sounded ideal for chicken breast, but I don't have them. Instead, I stole the concept and used butchers twine to tie two (4) flat bamboo skewers together. Worked fine. With potatoes, I have two small plastic cutting boards that are good, but that seems too awkward for slippery, squishy chicken.
I use wooden handle spoons or spatulas, rotated flat side down at opposing sides of whatever your hasselbackin.

Back