Jealous devil?

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
Saw this at my local OSH, pretty expensive stuff, any thoughts on its value to performance

If you are talking lump, I have heard good things especially in Kamado style grills which seem to excel with lump.

If you search jealous devil and view my posts you will see how much I am pro choice.
40 bones a 20 pound bag here, 90% of my charcoal is jd.
You can’t see it all but I think I have 14 bags or so right now.
It does everything you want it to and any negatives on certain charcoals does not apply to this product.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 31
I'm sure JD Lump is good but I haven't tried it yet. It would probably be an emergency substitute for me to buy it for $40 for 20 lb bag. I did try a bag of JD briqs. They were nothing special, and expensive so I probably won't buy another bag of JD Briqs

JD XL, which I’d recommend is $45 for 35#.

It’s incredibly clean burning and very, very low ash. My cooks for the last full week have been JD exclusively. I’ve come to really like and prefer it over all briqs.

You should use charbaskets to cook it in so you don’t lose the smaller pieces.

It lights well in a chimney and then I pour it over to the baskets. It takes around 75% of a chimney to fill the baskets and I still have left over fuel.

It burns very hot and clean. No heavy flavors, just a nice smoke. I used it on ribs/pork at 305° and up to 450° on yard birds.

I like it a lot. Only you can determine if it’s worth it’s price to you.

I've got a few cooks with it and I like it.

Pic is JD XL leftover after my overnight pork butt on the LBGE a couple of weeks ago.

Started around 7pm, took an hour or so to get the temps stable and down to 220 grate. ran all night at 220F. Put it out at 10am. This was the amount unburned.

It seems to burn hot when i want it hot and lasts well for low and slow.

20210920_095535.jpg

This was my setup for the kofta kebobs I just made. A few large lumps in between the baskets which held the smaller/normal sized pieces. This stuff burns nice and hot.

1633314471099.jpeg

And this was just all natural smoke from my rib rack and char siu last weekend. I added no other chunks to it and it made a real nice clean smoke and cook.

1633314581131.jpeg

It’s my go-to. I’m not a kingsford fan, can’t find Weber briquettes anymore, so Jealous Devil it is. I’ve used solely lump since my last bag of Weber briqs; I tried some Royal Oak lump and didn’t care for it at all. I’ve also got a bag of Blues Hog to try. I think my JD is 26 for 20lbs

I've used it for cooking steaks. I don't know about low and slow. It seems to burn hot and long. I don't think it's worth it for use in the WSM unless you are trying to go ultra hot and fast. For a Kamado, sure why not. When I use lump I typically go B&B Oak Lump Charcoal.

It’s my go-to. I’m not a kingsford fan, can’t find Weber briquettes anymore, so Jealous Devil it is. I’ve used solely lump since my last bag of Weber briqs; I tried some Royal Oak lump and didn’t care for it at all. I’ve also got a bag of Blues Hog to try. I think my JD is 26 for 20lbs
I have another 7-8 bags of Weber Briqs to go through but when those are gone I’ll be using JD exclusively as well.

What is the difference between the Chunxs and the XL?
View attachment 38425

Chunx​

Hardwood Lump Charcoal
$11.99 – $29.99
Rated 5.00 out of 5 based on customer rating
1 review
Our flagship charcoal in a new medium-sized lump. Ideal for smaller grills and backyard BBQs. Crafted from one of the densest hardwoods on the planet and specially carbonized to remove impurities. The result? Hotter, longer, and cleaner burns with incredible flavor without sparks, pops, bitter smoke or excessive ash.

XL Lump​

Signature XL Lump Charcoal
$31.95 – $49.99
Rated 5.00 out of 5 based on customer ratings
11 reviews
Our flagship charcoal is a super-size, ultra-premium lump. Crafted from one of the densest hardwoods on the planet and specially carbonized to remove impurities. The result? Hotter, longer, and cleaner burns with incredible flavor. Without sparks, pops, bitter smoke or excessive ash.
  • Huge, industry-leading lump size for maximum performance
  • 100% natural quebracho blanco “axe-breaker” hardwood
  • No sparks, pops, flare-ups, excessive ash, or heavy smoke
  • 1100F+ max temp – reduced refueling & maintenance demands
  • Award-winning flavor preferred by champion pitmasters, pro chefs, and competitors
  • Gorgeous water-resistant, resealable packaging with convenient carry handle

Amazon.com also sells JD XL.

Last edited:
The XL has some substantial sized pieces in the bag. Thick and solid; think like 6-7 inches long and 4-5 inches in diameter. These sized piece are great for longer cooks and one piece can fill up a char basket along with some smaller fill-in pieces. I'd recco the 35# bag if you can find it as it's less expensive per pound and the better value, IMO.

Well looks like Ill have to pick up a bag to try, I’ll wait until I get some good steaks or a tri-tip. I’ve been pretty happy with the KB PRO I switched to once the great charcoal sales of yesteryear have disappeare.

What is the difference between the Chunxs and the XL?
View attachment 38425
I reported this in one of the thousands of charcoal threads a few months back.
I order mine online, apparently after speaking with the bbq joint they told me it was the exact same charcoal.
I found it hard to believe, same charcoal, all new bag and labelling ect........sound like not a cost saving exercise but there had to be a reason. The plastic bag did seem like a poor environmental option but that is all I could come up with between the 2 products.
I ordered a couple to make sure before I used all my " plastic bag JD " .
Basically The lower option in your pic is the old bag and does not exist anymore.....
It had a re sealable zipper on top that failed 50% of the time.
Both have XL labelled on the bag in different spots.
I opened the new bag which is a paper type bag to find the same goodies as I had previously in the plastic bags.
Nothing to consider or worry about here........
It is a must try, unless you are really close to the buck. It isn't cheap but I feel the benefits outweigh the high price.
At a cost per cook you may only be talking about a buck or two if you are doing a regular hour or 2 cook.
I have been using this steady for the last 6 months......the first time you use it and make it go super hot it will impress.....and the charcoal lasts a great amount of time too...... With long burn and re lighting it may get the same amount of cook or heat out of it compared to a lesser brand, but without a proper test I am just assuming on that one.
I pay basically 2 bucks per pound, I don't like that much but there isn't much choice in my area other than another brand.
The stuff that doesn't impress me when I use it cost me right around $1.25 per pound. I can see the value in it for sure.
Anyone considering it in this thread should just go get 1 bag and see for yourself.
Maybe not to use all the time but to try it out on a steak cook and then on a high heat cook like wings or something.

I reported this in one of the thousands of charcoal threads a few months back.
I order mine online, apparently after speaking with the bbq joint they told me it was the exact same charcoal.
I found it hard to believe, same charcoal, all new bag and labelling ect........sound like not a cost saving exercise but there had to be a reason. The plastic bag did seem like a poor environmental option but that is all I could come up with between the 2 products.
I ordered a couple to make sure before I used all my " plastic bag JD " .
Basically The lower option in your pic is the old bag and does not exist anymore.....
It had a re sealable zipper on top that failed 50% of the time.
Both have XL labelled on the bag in different spots.
I opened the new bag which is a paper type bag to find the same goodies as I had previously in the plastic bags.
Nothing to consider or worry about here........
It is a must try, unless you are really close to the buck. It isn't cheap but I feel the benefits outweigh the high price.
At a cost per cook you may only be talking about a buck or two if you are doing a regular hour or 2 cook.
I have been using this steady for the last 6 months......the first time you use it and make it go super hot it will impress.....and the charcoal lasts a great amount of time too...... With long burn and re lighting it may get the same amount of cook or heat out of it compared to a lesser brand, but without a proper test I am just assuming on that one.
I pay basically 2 bucks per pound, I don't like that much but there isn't much choice in my area other than another brand.
The stuff that doesn't impress me when I use it cost me right around $1.25 per pound. I can see the value in it for sure.
Anyone considering it in this thread should just go get 1 bag and see for yourself.
Maybe not to use all the time but to try it out on a steak cook and then on a high heat cook like wings or something.
Good to know. I should probably weigh the tiny pieces and dust in the bags I get. It is substantial and plays into raising the actual cost of useable charcoal.

Back